FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 6 May 2013

In shocking news, Zero Dark Thirty is bullshit

Posted on 16:02 by Unknown
Brace yourselves: it turns out that Zero Dark Thirty, which previously was a clean as clean can be, has been revealed to be a piece of CIA propaganda. Who could have known? Great work by Adrian Chen, as usual.

Now, in the comments of that piece, what I presume will be the popular defense of the film is already being waged: hey, the changes were small potatoes, so what? Well "so what" is that as long as a governmental body is applying pressure to a filmmaker and receiving changes in response to that pressure, it's a corrupted act of propaganda, no matter how light the changes. You cannot simultaneously say to have produced a journalistic work, in the mold of a documentary— the explicit claim of Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal while doing the initial promotion of the movie— while a clandestine agency dictates what you portray.

And in any event, the most chilling and disqualifying aspect of that declassified report is that the CIA pronounced itself "absolutely comfortable" with Zero Dark Thirty. Here's a pro tip: if you're making a movie about one of the most controversial series of events in American history, and a government agency that has been repeatedly accused of breaking the law during those events pronounces itself "absolutely comfortable" with the results, you're not making a movie. You're producing propaganda.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ▼  May (42)
      • discouragement for young writers
      • It would be easier to rebut stupid conspiracy theo...
      • Slate's Rosetta Stone
      • holidaying
      • my dream: five federal universities
      • what neoliberalism is, to a̶ this leftist
      • do Muslims deserve human rights?
      • I'm told Obama gave a speech today
      • we must be ready to condemn this vicious knifing i...
      • Journos of Color
      • liberal box checking
      • all races being equal but all people certainly not...
      • you are not, actually, in control of your own life
      • reminder: Academically Adrift's methodological flaws
      • the right to live in history
      • Breaking: CIA corrupt, incompetent
      • history and social science
      • summer time in the springtime
      • Erik Loomis is a dishonest person.
      • just a note
      • ah, freedom
      • intellectual lineage and defeating ideas
      • SPORTS
      • it's a different model, I guess
      • Glenn mother fucking Greenwald
      • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
      • open the borders
      • the tropification of everything
      • Book Bros, First Edition
      • precisely how not to argue about race and IQ
      • casual racism is all around us
      • like the fall of Rome
      • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that ...
      • In shocking news, Zero Dark Thirty is bullshit
      • to what end and for what purpose
      • should still implies can
      • getting past forms
      • teachable moments and missed opportunities
      • the contempt gap, again
      • there's this
      • POLITICS IS THE ART OF THE POSSIBLE ARGLE BARGLE
      • my probably ill-advised contribution to this condo...
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile