FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 6 May 2013

to what end and for what purpose

Posted on 11:39 by Unknown
In my recent Bloggingheads with Conor, I made this point.


Since then, Andrew Sullivan has written thousands of additional words arguing that "Boston was jihad." There's two more missives today. Yet I'm no closer to having an understanding of what, exactly, he thinks that means in material terms, given that he has acknowledged that the Tsarnaev brothers were not part of some larger network. So what does he want? I think he wants what all of them want: I think he wants credit for being "tough" and for standing against political correctness. But these things imply no policy or material response. What does he want us to do?

When the Boston story was first appearing on the national stage, I was in a class. Among my classmates was an Algerian Muslim, an Afghan Muslim, and a Libyan Muslim. Since then, I have read all of the intellectual work being done to blame Islam for these events with the same question: what should I have done in their presence? Slapped them in the face? Placed them under citizen's arrest? Followed them around town, tracked their movements, informed on them to the FBI? I'm sure the world of applied linguistics is simply rife with jihadis, waiting for the vast power we give to academics in this country to accrue to them so that they can work their destructive business. Or perhaps I should have demanded that they renounce terrorism and terrorists, an activity many prominent political commentators in this country have called for. I've never been asked to renounce Adam Lanza or spree killing, despite being a white dude, but hey. Perhaps I should have accosted three people from disparate cultures and ethnic backgrounds, united only by following a religion of 1.3 billion people, and simply shouted in their faces "This was jihad!"

I imagine that Andrew would say that I shouldn't have done any of those things. That's what they always say, when I ask plainly what I am to do, when I encounter all the Muslims in my daily life: oh, don't do anything. Which is precisely the problem: they want credit for being provocative but shun actual provocation, speak in terms of war but recoil at the violence that stems from such talk, and ascribe vast condemnation to innocent people but object to being described, accurately, as engaging in bigotry. Oh, champions of liberty. What courage, to tell Americans that Muslims are bad. What a controversial stance. What guts.

By the way:
It seems to me that Anwar al-Awlaki was clearly complicit in the Boston marathon bombers and that the bulk of his propaganda was about inciting domestic terrorism in the US along the Tsarnaev lines. That makes him a little more than an icon for the First Amendment. It makes him a traitor allied with forces that want to kill American citizens.
Of all the things that Andrew has written in recent years that I've disagreed with, this is the most extraordinary. This sentiment, that because people whom you have never met or directly communicated with you have been "inspired" by you to commit violence, you are guilty of treason and deserve to be killed without trial, is totally incompatible with basic intellectual freedom. I wonder if Andrew would support a drone strike against Pamela Gellar, were a domestic American terrorist to kill American Muslims after having been inspired by her. But of course, this is to traffic in absurd: we only kill Muslims, when we fight against terrorism these days. Always and only Muslims.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ▼  May (42)
      • discouragement for young writers
      • It would be easier to rebut stupid conspiracy theo...
      • Slate's Rosetta Stone
      • holidaying
      • my dream: five federal universities
      • what neoliberalism is, to a̶ this leftist
      • do Muslims deserve human rights?
      • I'm told Obama gave a speech today
      • we must be ready to condemn this vicious knifing i...
      • Journos of Color
      • liberal box checking
      • all races being equal but all people certainly not...
      • you are not, actually, in control of your own life
      • reminder: Academically Adrift's methodological flaws
      • the right to live in history
      • Breaking: CIA corrupt, incompetent
      • history and social science
      • summer time in the springtime
      • Erik Loomis is a dishonest person.
      • just a note
      • ah, freedom
      • intellectual lineage and defeating ideas
      • SPORTS
      • it's a different model, I guess
      • Glenn mother fucking Greenwald
      • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
      • open the borders
      • the tropification of everything
      • Book Bros, First Edition
      • precisely how not to argue about race and IQ
      • casual racism is all around us
      • like the fall of Rome
      • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that ...
      • In shocking news, Zero Dark Thirty is bullshit
      • to what end and for what purpose
      • should still implies can
      • getting past forms
      • teachable moments and missed opportunities
      • the contempt gap, again
      • there's this
      • POLITICS IS THE ART OF THE POSSIBLE ARGLE BARGLE
      • my probably ill-advised contribution to this condo...
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile