FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 1 February 2013

the lobby goes looking for another scalp

Posted on 21:37 by Unknown
So if you haven't been following the news, the Israel lobby has come down in full force. No, I'm not talking about the absurd, humiliating, evidence-of-a-broken-system spectacle of the Hagel hearings. I'm talking about Brooklyn College of the CUNY system, and the Boycott, Divest, Sanction panel that a student group planned and that the faculty of the political science program chose to cosponsor so that the event could take place. The panel promises to present a controversial set of views-- views I happen to largely share-- and, as such, advances one of the core values of the university writ large: the exchange of opinions, even ones considered offensive by others, so that these opinions might be examined, understood, and debated. But as the panel promises criticism of Israel, it has brought about this insane reaction.

If you can read that piece without feeling profoundly depressed, you're a stronger man than I. I would like to emphasize that a sitting New York Assemblyman claimed that an academic panel featuring several tenured professors has "the potential for a second Holocaust." Roll that around in your brain, a little bit. Let it wash over you. It should go without saying: this is a campaign of hysteria, waged by children, totally contrary not only to the basic concepts of free academic inquiry but to the very meaning of freedom of opinion and expression.

Gawker's Mobute put it best:
The Brooklyn College panel might be great; it might be a fiasco; it might be confused or embrace propositions we think morally wrong. What it's not, right now, is worthy of being tied to big-name, galvanic media-friendly words of outrage like "blackballing" and "racism," while dealing in tropes of academic censorship. But this is par for the course with Dershowitz, the law's most enduring concern troll.
What's become clear is not merely that Israel itself is sprinting away from democracy within its borders, as it daily pursues a more deeply and explicitly racist character. It's now undermining democracy in our country, as its many powerful defenders have so distorted the basic ideas of free inquiry that you get madness such as this. Perhaps some heavy-handed bigwigs using their muscle to squash an academic event (and grandstand for the cameras in the process) is a little thing, in the grand scheme. I would call it the subtle undermining of free speech. But that Hagel event-- a public flogging, a ritualistic shaming meant to remind everyone of what our real priorities are-- that's an indication of a corrupted democracy. When a country that ties ribbons around every tree can watch a man be grilled for failing to place Israeli interests ahead of its soldiers and count it as business as usual, something is deeply wrong.

A lot of weird stuff has happened in the past 11 and a half years. But this perhaps the oddest of all, to slowly realize you live in the second most powerful country in the world.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ▼  February (35)
      • no reasons for pride
      • getting epistolary
      • bullshit social climber faux-antiracism
      • actually, the Onion's Tweet and McFarlane's jokes ...
      • pretty basic question re: Buzzfeed
      • there's lots of production in the post-work economy
      • Skyfall
      • ball's in your court, Erik
      • good question
      • an open letter to my Democrat friends
      • no thinking person should ever listen to what Will...
      • why we can't fix anything
      • Is Jacobin a political magazine?
      • the Pet Gazette
      • maybe everybody shouldn't abandon professionalism ...
      • links and such
      • jobs is spending is jobs
      • real talk about real talk
      • what people are made of
      • gating comments for awhile
      • ethical concerns make it really, really hard to do...
      • the "Paperman" problem
      • always try to be the talent
      • real and virtual
      • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-...
      • I'm not feeling reassured here
      • actual fascism
      • where the fuck is the IT department
      • the backwards causation
      • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
      • still tinkering
      • Thanks, Dr. K
      • the lobby goes looking for another scalp
      • liberating just one
      • a few addenda to the Bloggingheads talk
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile