FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 22 May 2013

liberal box checking

Posted on 09:27 by Unknown
Liberals and progressives have far more humane and compassionate views on gay rights and gay love than conservatives do, but in my experience, they are often not more open-minded than conservatives.

A telling moment in this Wesley Morris essay on HBO's new Liberace movie, Behind the Candelabra: in one paragraph, he notes that Matt Damon's character Scott (Liberace's live-in boyfriend and employee) "insists that he's bisexual." In the next paragraph, he says that Damon and Douglas are "playing homosexuals." Perhaps the movie makes it clear that this self-definition by Scott is in fact self-delusion, I don't know. But I'm not sure how such a thing could be dramatized. If it's not, why run so roughshod over a character's self-definition? Yes: there is a tradition of gay men who are not just closeted but self-deluded. But the insistence that any man who has sexual or romantic relationships with another man must be gay is simplistic and deeply restricting of the right to sexual freedom and self-definition. (You'll note that this is never asserted when it comes to women.) Morris's piece writ large reflects on homosexuality not as a set of preferences and behaviors but as a totalizing identity. That is neither a productive way to look at a world that is full of complexity nor fair.

Consider this passage from a 2009 article by Amy Sohn on male-to-female transsexuals and men who are attracted to them:
Part of the problem is, there’s no language yet to describe men who are drawn to trannies—or, as a friend of mine puts it, “transgressives.” My own guess is that they fall into four subcategories: closeted gay men who need the T&A so they don’t freak out about the D, bisexual men who can get both needs met at the same time, porn-addicted men who need to keep crossing new boundaries to get aroused, and straight guys who nonetheless have a narcissistic attraction to the penis.
I suppose I'm glad that Sohn has reflected that sexual desires are complex and  idiosyncratic. But consider that three out of these four categories are defined as fundamentally disordered or dysfunctional: closeted men who are lying to themselves, men who are addicted to pornography, and men who are motivated by narcissism. This is flagrantly judgmental about adult, consensual sexual behavior. It's amazing how confident Sohn is in creating a taxonomy of desires that she doesn't share and can't possibly fully understand. Like most affluent Brooklynites, I'm sure Sohn thinks of herself as a modern, forward-thinking person. Yet she is so suffused in the privilege of being able to define others' sexual identities that she doesn't see the offense in reducing the boundaries of the possible, of the permissible.

It's not just that liberals define the sexual identities of others constantly. It's that they are so quick and casual in doing so. I personally have long marveled at how the same people who advocate eloquently for the equal dignity of gay love and gay relationships can be so quick to take the right of self-definition away from men who experience them. None of us have access to other people's internal feelings and emotions, and thus we are constrained in how we can assess their own orientation towards their own desires. The fair, compassionate, and liberal thing to do is to let people act as they want to, and trust in the perfect legitimacy of all adult, consensual sexual behavior.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ▼  May (42)
      • discouragement for young writers
      • It would be easier to rebut stupid conspiracy theo...
      • Slate's Rosetta Stone
      • holidaying
      • my dream: five federal universities
      • what neoliberalism is, to a̶ this leftist
      • do Muslims deserve human rights?
      • I'm told Obama gave a speech today
      • we must be ready to condemn this vicious knifing i...
      • Journos of Color
      • liberal box checking
      • all races being equal but all people certainly not...
      • you are not, actually, in control of your own life
      • reminder: Academically Adrift's methodological flaws
      • the right to live in history
      • Breaking: CIA corrupt, incompetent
      • history and social science
      • summer time in the springtime
      • Erik Loomis is a dishonest person.
      • just a note
      • ah, freedom
      • intellectual lineage and defeating ideas
      • SPORTS
      • it's a different model, I guess
      • Glenn mother fucking Greenwald
      • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
      • open the borders
      • the tropification of everything
      • Book Bros, First Edition
      • precisely how not to argue about race and IQ
      • casual racism is all around us
      • like the fall of Rome
      • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that ...
      • In shocking news, Zero Dark Thirty is bullshit
      • to what end and for what purpose
      • should still implies can
      • getting past forms
      • teachable moments and missed opportunities
      • the contempt gap, again
      • there's this
      • POLITICS IS THE ART OF THE POSSIBLE ARGLE BARGLE
      • my probably ill-advised contribution to this condo...
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile