FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 12 May 2013

it's a different model, I guess

Posted on 07:27 by Unknown
I was chatting with a couple of friends last night about Paris is Burning. It struck me just how different our message about gay people and gay rights are than the one that I received as a kid. My father was a drama professor and had worked in the theater for his whole life, including for a decade in New York City's experimental and avant garde theater scene. As you can imagine, it was normal for my siblings and I me to interact with gay people in our childhood. Part of the contrast between then and now is that a lot of these people were defiantly out of the mainstream. There were a lot of gay men who would refer to straight people as breeders, dedicated drag queens, people who had a fierce rejection of traditionalist marriage and monogamy, etc. For many of these people, their sexual identity was part of a broad rejection of what they saw as the bourgeois conformity of mainstream American life.

In contrast, the message that resonates about gay people today is one of normalcy. The lesson that is delivered over and over again is that gay people are just like everyone else, that of course, everyone wants to get married and everyone wants to have babies and put up a white picket fence.... Aside from the many little ugly pathologies hidden in mainstream depictions of gay people (such as the notion that every gay man is your best frieeeeeeend), I can't find much to dispute with the insistence that everyone deserves the respect and autonomy that comes with normalcy. And it's hard to argue with the results; as much work remains to be done, the growth of marriage rights over the past decade has been frankly incredible.

Yet I can't help but think that something has been lost in changing the message to "people are the same" from "people are different." That was a message my parents delivered early and often in my life: people are different, often radically different, and they will behave in ways you wouldn't and believe things you don't, sometimes in ways you'll find uncomfortable or challenging. Get used to it and get over it. I recognize the political limitations of that model. But it had the advantage of being portable: respect for genuine difference, rather than constantly looking for ways in which everyone is the same, can make people more generous and more compassionate towards those who don't yet enjoy the blessing of the majority.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ▼  May (42)
      • discouragement for young writers
      • It would be easier to rebut stupid conspiracy theo...
      • Slate's Rosetta Stone
      • holidaying
      • my dream: five federal universities
      • what neoliberalism is, to a̶ this leftist
      • do Muslims deserve human rights?
      • I'm told Obama gave a speech today
      • we must be ready to condemn this vicious knifing i...
      • Journos of Color
      • liberal box checking
      • all races being equal but all people certainly not...
      • you are not, actually, in control of your own life
      • reminder: Academically Adrift's methodological flaws
      • the right to live in history
      • Breaking: CIA corrupt, incompetent
      • history and social science
      • summer time in the springtime
      • Erik Loomis is a dishonest person.
      • just a note
      • ah, freedom
      • intellectual lineage and defeating ideas
      • SPORTS
      • it's a different model, I guess
      • Glenn mother fucking Greenwald
      • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
      • open the borders
      • the tropification of everything
      • Book Bros, First Edition
      • precisely how not to argue about race and IQ
      • casual racism is all around us
      • like the fall of Rome
      • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that ...
      • In shocking news, Zero Dark Thirty is bullshit
      • to what end and for what purpose
      • should still implies can
      • getting past forms
      • teachable moments and missed opportunities
      • the contempt gap, again
      • there's this
      • POLITICS IS THE ART OF THE POSSIBLE ARGLE BARGLE
      • my probably ill-advised contribution to this condo...
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile