FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 20 May 2013

you are not, actually, in control of your own life

Posted on 14:15 by Unknown
Obama giving the commencement address at Morehouse College:
Nobody cares how tough your upbringing was. Nobody cares if you suffered some discrimination....If you stay hungry, if you keep hustling, if you keep on your grind and get other folks to do the same — nobody can stop you.
Setting aside a liberal Democrat making this point, and all the attendant problems with that— the notion that you are in charge of the outcome of your life, and that all it takes is working hard and trying, is not true. Realizing it isn't true is a big part of adjusting the adult world. As time goes on and on, more and more empirical measures demonstrate it isn't true. And saying that to students like these, at this age of their lives, in this economy, at this terrible point in history for recent college grads... it's cruelty. Cruelty.

Update: Of course I don't think that the president should have said, "You guys are screwed! Give up!" What I want the president to do is, in the best liberal tradition, recognize that while hard work and dedication are important, chance and injustice are powerful, so we need to work together. I wanted him to say "You should work hard and strive for what you want, but you should also remember that the things you achieve come on the back of chances and advantages not everyone has, so you should work to help those who find themselves in harsh circumstances. And you should naturally expect, without guilt or shame, to be able to call on help from society if you find yourself in those circumstances yourself."
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ▼  May (42)
      • discouragement for young writers
      • It would be easier to rebut stupid conspiracy theo...
      • Slate's Rosetta Stone
      • holidaying
      • my dream: five federal universities
      • what neoliberalism is, to a̶ this leftist
      • do Muslims deserve human rights?
      • I'm told Obama gave a speech today
      • we must be ready to condemn this vicious knifing i...
      • Journos of Color
      • liberal box checking
      • all races being equal but all people certainly not...
      • you are not, actually, in control of your own life
      • reminder: Academically Adrift's methodological flaws
      • the right to live in history
      • Breaking: CIA corrupt, incompetent
      • history and social science
      • summer time in the springtime
      • Erik Loomis is a dishonest person.
      • just a note
      • ah, freedom
      • intellectual lineage and defeating ideas
      • SPORTS
      • it's a different model, I guess
      • Glenn mother fucking Greenwald
      • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
      • open the borders
      • the tropification of everything
      • Book Bros, First Edition
      • precisely how not to argue about race and IQ
      • casual racism is all around us
      • like the fall of Rome
      • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that ...
      • In shocking news, Zero Dark Thirty is bullshit
      • to what end and for what purpose
      • should still implies can
      • getting past forms
      • teachable moments and missed opportunities
      • the contempt gap, again
      • there's this
      • POLITICS IS THE ART OF THE POSSIBLE ARGLE BARGLE
      • my probably ill-advised contribution to this condo...
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile