FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Erik Loomis is a dishonest person.

Posted on 15:36 by Unknown
So in the past I've pointed out that standard operating procedure at Lawyers Guns and Money has been to tiptoe up to saying nasty things that the bloggers know they can't get away with, aware that the rabid Obots in their comments will be sure to say it for them. I have, as in the past, become the target of that tactic recently.

Today, Erik Loomis wanted to call me a proponent of race science, because Andrew Sullivan quoted me in a post talking about race and IQ. Unfortunately for Loomis, he has an evidence deficit on that position. See, since I've been writing about politics publicly, I've been arguing against The Bell Curve and the purported scientific case for racial inferiority. If Loomis was confused about this, he might have read when I said yesterday "I believe that the case for scientific racial inferiority is wrong." But he wasn't confused. There can be no doubt, given the many times I've written against these ideas at considerable length, that I am opposed to the idea that black people are inherently less intelligent than white people.

Rather, Loomis doesn't like me, because I believe that Muslims should not be murdered via drone strikes, and that my antipathy to murder of Muslims via drone strikes was enough to compel me not to vote for Obama (after voting for him in 2008), and further that I often praise Glenn Greenwald. And so Loomis goes for pure guilt by association. And of course, his commenters take the bait, and engage in one of the Two Minute Hates that seems to be the only way they have of interacting with the world at all.

Loomis is someone who, when his academic freedom was disgracefully challenged by his institution, the University of Rhode Island, made a point of standing up for himself, as well he should have. At the time, I signed the petition insisting on Loomis's academic and intellectual freedom. I was proud and happy to do so, in no small part because I am an alum of URI and someone who was deeply embarrassed by its conduct. Today, despite his loud stand for his own academic freedom, he threatens my own.

Please understand: as a graduate student, I am very vulnerable to the opinions of tenure-track professors like Loomis. When I hit the job market, a professor attempting to associate my name with an argument for the legitimacy of racism could easily render me incapable of getting a job, even though I've repeatedly and explicitly objected to that argument. Loomis knows that. He knows what he's doing. Make no mistake: that post is a threat. In the incredibly competitive world of the academic job market, it's very easy for vague innuendo to ruin a career. Loomis is aware of that.

Now, were Loomis an honest person and Lawyers Guns and Money an honest forum, he would post again, this time pointing out my actual views on the subject through which he is making me guilty of association. But he won't, because he is not an honest person, because his commitment to academic and intellectual freedom extends precisely as far as it concerns his own employment, and because of the cause of his personal resentment, which is that people of prominence actually link to and interact with a grad student like me.

He's says it himself: "I obviously didn’t read the linked post because why would anyone read something DeBoer writes?" Pretty much all you need to know. Remember that, next time he makes a martyr of himself for academic freedom.

Update: "I obviously didn’t read the linked post because why would anyone read something DeBoer writes?"

Update II: "I obviously didn’t read the linked post because why would anyone read something"

Update III: "I obviously didn’t read the linked post"

Update IV: "I obviously didn’t read"
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ▼  May (42)
      • discouragement for young writers
      • It would be easier to rebut stupid conspiracy theo...
      • Slate's Rosetta Stone
      • holidaying
      • my dream: five federal universities
      • what neoliberalism is, to a̶ this leftist
      • do Muslims deserve human rights?
      • I'm told Obama gave a speech today
      • we must be ready to condemn this vicious knifing i...
      • Journos of Color
      • liberal box checking
      • all races being equal but all people certainly not...
      • you are not, actually, in control of your own life
      • reminder: Academically Adrift's methodological flaws
      • the right to live in history
      • Breaking: CIA corrupt, incompetent
      • history and social science
      • summer time in the springtime
      • Erik Loomis is a dishonest person.
      • just a note
      • ah, freedom
      • intellectual lineage and defeating ideas
      • SPORTS
      • it's a different model, I guess
      • Glenn mother fucking Greenwald
      • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
      • open the borders
      • the tropification of everything
      • Book Bros, First Edition
      • precisely how not to argue about race and IQ
      • casual racism is all around us
      • like the fall of Rome
      • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that ...
      • In shocking news, Zero Dark Thirty is bullshit
      • to what end and for what purpose
      • should still implies can
      • getting past forms
      • teachable moments and missed opportunities
      • the contempt gap, again
      • there's this
      • POLITICS IS THE ART OF THE POSSIBLE ARGLE BARGLE
      • my probably ill-advised contribution to this condo...
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile