FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 15 January 2013

a handy guide to the use of "we"

Posted on 13:05 by Unknown
Writing is complicated! In the scrum of trying to express your inner thoughts in print, it's easy to lose sight of details like "am I one person or more than one person?" These days, I often see writers using "we" or "us" to refer to themselves, which is problematic, on account of there is only one of them and all. To prevent this all-too-understandable error, I've prepared a handy guide for when you can use "we" to refer to yourself.

1. Is more than one of you writing the sentence in question? Is it a collaborative work, authored by more than one person? Are you in some sense speaking for a group which was involved in the production of that text, or the project which that text describes?
2. Is your text a narrative or story, written in first person, in which events occurred to both the narrator and others?
3. Are you a monarch, regent, or similar figure of aristocratic leadership in a tradition where the ruler is understood to embody the state?
4. Are you an insufferable twat?

If the answer to any of the above is "yes," congratulations! You may refer to yourself with "we." If the answer is no, stick to "I." Alright, che?
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Is Franz Kafka Overrated?
    No.
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ▼  January (43)
      • couple of bros, chattin' about stuff
      • wat
      • actually, Matt Lewis is full of poop
      • the UBI and socializing finance
      • slippery things
      • stuffed up
      • ah, consistency
      • high school is nearly everybody
      • I need to tame this wild tongue if I'm to touch th...
      • stuff
      • norms of control
      • the quiet insistence of the real
      • a reason to care about those high definition screens
      • you probably don't have an opinion on poetry
      • oh savage hearts
      • I am at your disposal
      • MLK and Stonewall are the rejection of gradualism
      • and now it's time to pay these guys
      • I just fucked up in trying to prove that I didn't ...
      • narrative delusions
      • in trouble again
      • Alexis Madrigal is peddling bullshit once again (a...
      • some links and such
      • they seem to know where they are going, the ones w...
      • what are the rights of the disfavored?
      • "liberal interventionists" care about establishmen...
      • I hate to play to my image, but...
      • a handy guide to the use of "we"
      • due credit
      • singular "their" and the grammar wars
      • Reactionary Minds in antiquity
      • so strange
      • academics want their work to be available
      • against critical shorthand
      • house cleaning
      • In greatest travesty of the 21st century, a pretty...
      • more reporting, less generalism, more beats, less ...
      • not what you think but what you are
      • well this is odd
      • crappiness and its acceptance
      • Merry Christmas indeed
      • good luck to Sully, and to all
      • #thosesavageislams
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile