FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 29 March 2013

punching down

Posted on 23:53 by Unknown
This essay by J. Robert Lennon is, surely, less inflammatory and annoying than the headline that accompanies it. But it's still a profoundly useless piece of generalization, exactly as helpful or unhelpful as saying "Most of anything is bad." I also think that it shows a profound lack of perspective. There are tons and tons of people out there who already want to grind an ax against longform fiction and other kinds of challenging art, out of a resentment towards the implied judgment that they project onto those who like different things. I don't think that these people need more ammunition. Insecurity already conditions many to dislike traditional "high" culture.

Also: the world is full of writers who don't read, and they're terrible, and their particular terribleness is  bound up in the belief that allows them to think that they don't have to read to write, which is that they are the center of every universe and their lives are inherently interesting. Stop validating them. Their writing is bad and they should feel bad.

I wrote an essay last year about the total commercial and growing critical dominance of pop culture, in which I pointed out that everyone feels entitled to attack traditional art and culture, but attacking pop art will result in apoplexy and accusations of snobbery. I just want to point out: if I wrote an essay for Salon titled "Most comic books are terrible," the Internet would explode. I think your laptop would catch on fire if you opened it. Links to it would cause instant burn-in on your tablet. They'd sign me up for the sex offender registry. All of this, despite the fact that pop culture is commercially dominant and under absolutely no threat whatsoever, and literary fiction, like so many other artforms, is in danger of extinction. It just goes to show that there is no reality which a committed social group cannot twist to ensure its own self righteousness.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ▼  March (37)
      • Debs's Pacifist Speechmaking
      • getting past feelings
      • punching down
      • people who won't clean their own house
      • you gotta give people a little sugar
      • stop digging, Erik
      • people believe conspiracy theories because people ...
      • the bigotry of nonexistence
      • The Twitter Feeds of Justice
      • personality hunger and the regulation of consumpti...
      • progress comes from demand
      • looking back
      • where's all the hippie punching?
      • non-interventionists in prominent positions would ...
      • a little additional info
      • my bus ride
      • Indiana
      • Illinois
      • Missouri
      • Kansas
      • Colorado
      • Utah
      • Nevada
      • keep the fires burning
      • sometimes the punishment is being the person who d...
      • admiring the shade on somebody else's deck chair
      • sticky wickets
      • oh, the gravitas
      • Rand Paul's filibuster
      • Cord Jefferson:Hugo Chavez::Bill O'Reilly:Barack O...
      • hilarious, in that depressing way
      • it turns out that class matters
      • you can't eat buzz
      • you've actually got to redistribute the wealth, no...
      • the forest for the trees
      • no enemies (because they are) to my left
      • school reform is antilogic
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile