FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 26 March 2013

stop digging, Erik

Posted on 09:52 by Unknown
So Erik Loomis has responded-- or, really, "responded"-- to me as follows, in the comments:
I am not tenured, nor are most of the people at LGM.

As to the "substance" of the post, it's not worth a response. I will only say that the original post is specifically grounded in the context of the 2012 elections. If you think that voting for a political party that does not want to overturn the Voting Rights of 1965 is racist, then fine, I guess I'm a racist.
As should be clear, this is totally nonresponsive to my accusation, which is that Loomis's refusal to recognize the existence of nonwhite and women critics of Obama's drone program, as well as his repeated insistence that certain ideas can only be voiced by white men, amounts to racism. He's free to dispute that accusation. But saying that my argument is that it's racist to vote for the Democrats is a flat lie, and he knows it is. What's more, he still hasn't acknowledged that nonwhite people and women criticize Obama's drone program! He appears to be literally incapable of grappling with the fact that there are people who aren't white men who disagree with him. Which is precisely my point: he essentializes people of color and women as being inherently his political allies. He simply refuses to acknowledge the critics I've mentioned exist. If Dr. Loomis wants to actually respond to the substance of my post, he can. But I have a feeling he won't. Like a lot of people who fancy themselves to be Very Serious Political Operatives, as they work tirelessly to forbid left-wing discourse, he is content instead to evade, to mock, and to ignore. It's so much easier to hide among friends than to respond to actual criticism.

Oh, and he also can't read. I never said he had tenure.

Update: If this is really so complicated: I consider it offensive, and frankly racist, to ever say "only a person from this demographic could believe X." That's the definition of essentialism, and I think rather ugly. Now if Dr. Loomis was speaking in haste and regrets that comment, fine. Just retract it. Apologize for it. Because it's an ugly sentiment, and demonstrably untrue. People of color voted for Gary Johnson. Women voted for third party candidates. They might be small or very small in number. But they exist. And to insist that they don't exist is ugly, ugly, ugly.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Is Franz Kafka Overrated?
    No.
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ▼  March (37)
      • Debs's Pacifist Speechmaking
      • getting past feelings
      • punching down
      • people who won't clean their own house
      • you gotta give people a little sugar
      • stop digging, Erik
      • people believe conspiracy theories because people ...
      • the bigotry of nonexistence
      • The Twitter Feeds of Justice
      • personality hunger and the regulation of consumpti...
      • progress comes from demand
      • looking back
      • where's all the hippie punching?
      • non-interventionists in prominent positions would ...
      • a little additional info
      • my bus ride
      • Indiana
      • Illinois
      • Missouri
      • Kansas
      • Colorado
      • Utah
      • Nevada
      • keep the fires burning
      • sometimes the punishment is being the person who d...
      • admiring the shade on somebody else's deck chair
      • sticky wickets
      • oh, the gravitas
      • Rand Paul's filibuster
      • Cord Jefferson:Hugo Chavez::Bill O'Reilly:Barack O...
      • hilarious, in that depressing way
      • it turns out that class matters
      • you can't eat buzz
      • you've actually got to redistribute the wealth, no...
      • the forest for the trees
      • no enemies (because they are) to my left
      • school reform is antilogic
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile