FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 2 March 2013

school reform is antilogic

Posted on 08:42 by Unknown
In Philadelphia, the war on teachers continues. I don't see what the fuss is about. Access to drinking water is a luxury!

Like neoliberalism writ large, the school reform movement is a study in contradictions. As I've written before, the laughable hypocrisy at the heart of school reform is that the self-same movement that constantly calls for quantifiable assessment and accountability totally shirks the same. The empirical metrics for major reform efforts like charter schools, private school vouchers, and merit pay are terrible, in aggregate. If the concept of charter schools was a principal, Michelle Rhee would have fired it long ago. And when you point out the continued failure of these measures to produce statistically verifiable, reliable gains-- absent the rampant cheating that attended Rhee's "progress," I mean-- the no excuses crowd suddenly has a lot of excuses. Unionized public school teachers always need to get the ax now; for nonunion charter schools that perform no better (or even worse), there's nothing but time.

That contradictory logic extends to the nature of teacher compensation, as here. The antilogic of school reform, distilled: our current teachers are not talented, skilled, or hardworking enough, so let's making teaching an immensely less attractive job. Solid thinking, there. If it were true that our current teachers are bad at their jobs, there would still be precious little incentive for better candidates to want to take the job, particularly since the self-same reformers are working tirelessly to make the terms of employment worse. When you point this out to the arch-capitalists who believe that ECON 101 will save our schools, they wax ineffable about how "real teachers" do it for love of education, love of children, love of our society.... In other words, they use the logic of capitalism to justify everything but expect teachers to be economic romantics. To which the only reply is: fuck you. Do you do your job for the love of children? Would you spend the next 30 years of your life in bad working conditions, trying to solve intractable problems, because of some vague commitment to community, while the community has no similar commitment to you?

The typical reply is, well, I support higher salaries for teachers! Which is a promise that, as they know, they have no ability to deliver on. It's just a feint. Tenure and job security are tangible employment benefits that don't cost a lot of money; that's why they're prevalent. Saying "I would pay them more in exchange for making their benefits far worse" is not a responsible claim when you can only deliver on the latter.

And it isn't enough to get them into the job. You have to get them to stay. Teachers leave the profession in droves. Turns out that those Nice White Ladies who take it on themselves to heal the world get tired of it after a couple years in the machine. They're the manifestation of school reform thinking: empty promises, fake commitment, superficial caring, and cruel optimism.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ▼  March (37)
      • Debs's Pacifist Speechmaking
      • getting past feelings
      • punching down
      • people who won't clean their own house
      • you gotta give people a little sugar
      • stop digging, Erik
      • people believe conspiracy theories because people ...
      • the bigotry of nonexistence
      • The Twitter Feeds of Justice
      • personality hunger and the regulation of consumpti...
      • progress comes from demand
      • looking back
      • where's all the hippie punching?
      • non-interventionists in prominent positions would ...
      • a little additional info
      • my bus ride
      • Indiana
      • Illinois
      • Missouri
      • Kansas
      • Colorado
      • Utah
      • Nevada
      • keep the fires burning
      • sometimes the punishment is being the person who d...
      • admiring the shade on somebody else's deck chair
      • sticky wickets
      • oh, the gravitas
      • Rand Paul's filibuster
      • Cord Jefferson:Hugo Chavez::Bill O'Reilly:Barack O...
      • hilarious, in that depressing way
      • it turns out that class matters
      • you can't eat buzz
      • you've actually got to redistribute the wealth, no...
      • the forest for the trees
      • no enemies (because they are) to my left
      • school reform is antilogic
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile