FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 26 March 2013

you gotta give people a little sugar

Posted on 15:22 by Unknown
You've undoubtedly seen (if you're on Facebook) many people switching their profile pic to an image supporting equal marriage rights for gay people. You've also probably seen a little snark headed in that direction, or taken part in the same. I'm guilty of that, myself. But I don't mean to be too mean or too glib. I recognize the uselessness of a lot of political gestures, but I also know that politics is not separable from the field of culture and society in which we live, and that democracy is not something you do at a ballot box. Our problems are more to do with not enough people being political than with too many people being political, and if weighing in with easy gestures is the alternative to not engaging at all, I'll take it. I don't mistake this blog for something much more meaningful than a Facebook pic, after all.

More than anything, I just want them to apply this energy and this attention elsewhere, too.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ▼  March (37)
      • Debs's Pacifist Speechmaking
      • getting past feelings
      • punching down
      • people who won't clean their own house
      • you gotta give people a little sugar
      • stop digging, Erik
      • people believe conspiracy theories because people ...
      • the bigotry of nonexistence
      • The Twitter Feeds of Justice
      • personality hunger and the regulation of consumpti...
      • progress comes from demand
      • looking back
      • where's all the hippie punching?
      • non-interventionists in prominent positions would ...
      • a little additional info
      • my bus ride
      • Indiana
      • Illinois
      • Missouri
      • Kansas
      • Colorado
      • Utah
      • Nevada
      • keep the fires burning
      • sometimes the punishment is being the person who d...
      • admiring the shade on somebody else's deck chair
      • sticky wickets
      • oh, the gravitas
      • Rand Paul's filibuster
      • Cord Jefferson:Hugo Chavez::Bill O'Reilly:Barack O...
      • hilarious, in that depressing way
      • it turns out that class matters
      • you can't eat buzz
      • you've actually got to redistribute the wealth, no...
      • the forest for the trees
      • no enemies (because they are) to my left
      • school reform is antilogic
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile