FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 5 March 2013

you can't eat buzz

Posted on 08:30 by Unknown
This post has been spreading like wildfire, for obvious reasons, among the journalist set. The Atlantic, a publication that never stops talking about how profitable it is, deigned to offer a seasoned professional journalist the grand total of $0 to republish his work-- after he made some revisions for them. But, as the editor says, he'll get buzz! And besides, they only pay $100 for original reporting.

For context, I've talked to tiny academic publishing houses about republishing my work, and they've always offered at least a little cash. It might be $25 or $50, but they've offered, and we're talking about non-profit academic publishers. There, too, the understanding is that nobody makes money off of publications themselves, but that there is a standard procedure whereby your publications lead to salaried employment and professional advancement. (There aren't enough of those jobs, but that's a separate discussion.) For a freelancer, there is no eventual gig.

If this isn't glaringly obvious: writing for The Atlantic is the kind of gig people think they'll get once they get the buzz. What is the higher rung, exactly, that the buzz is supposed to get you than The Atlantic? Where's the big money magazine, if that magazine doesn't qualify? The sense I get is that the big publications assume that they can pay writers in "exposure" and then the smaller publications will pay them. But the smaller publications can't pay, or think they can't pay. They think they're building exposure for the writers to eventually get published in the big, profitable publications... like The Atlantic. 

If you're trying to write professionally and you're regularly working hard and getting paid in buzz, you're getting played for a sucker. People get exposure all the time and end up broke. It goes for publications too; magazines or blogs or whatever get written up in some prominent place, have everybody buzzing about them, and can't pay their editors. There's no natural endpoint for buzz. Sometimes you get paid. Lots of times you don't. A lot of the young writers I talk to have this notion, they'll get the buzz, and suddenly people will start sending them checks. Doesn't have to happen. Usually doesn't happen.

Sadly, the long-term trend will be towards more and more of the journalism and opinion class coming from the ranks of the born wealthy, a trend I think actually began long ago. Especially because those who want to do it professionally are always getting undercut by the amateurs-- like me.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ▼  March (37)
      • Debs's Pacifist Speechmaking
      • getting past feelings
      • punching down
      • people who won't clean their own house
      • you gotta give people a little sugar
      • stop digging, Erik
      • people believe conspiracy theories because people ...
      • the bigotry of nonexistence
      • The Twitter Feeds of Justice
      • personality hunger and the regulation of consumpti...
      • progress comes from demand
      • looking back
      • where's all the hippie punching?
      • non-interventionists in prominent positions would ...
      • a little additional info
      • my bus ride
      • Indiana
      • Illinois
      • Missouri
      • Kansas
      • Colorado
      • Utah
      • Nevada
      • keep the fires burning
      • sometimes the punishment is being the person who d...
      • admiring the shade on somebody else's deck chair
      • sticky wickets
      • oh, the gravitas
      • Rand Paul's filibuster
      • Cord Jefferson:Hugo Chavez::Bill O'Reilly:Barack O...
      • hilarious, in that depressing way
      • it turns out that class matters
      • you can't eat buzz
      • you've actually got to redistribute the wealth, no...
      • the forest for the trees
      • no enemies (because they are) to my left
      • school reform is antilogic
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile