FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 19 March 2013

a little additional info

Posted on 13:58 by Unknown
A few people have asked for a bit more about the situation with Moi-- not Muy, as I incorrectly put it in the original post. We had stopped at the bus depot in Kansas City, one of three longer stops on my trip, the other two being Denver and St. Louis. At Denver, I had to give a separate ticket, for some reason; at the other two I was able to give a reboarding pass that they handed out when I gave my original ticket. I dunno why they have that distinction. Moi got on the bus at the same time as I did, in Vegas, at 3:05 on Friday. I believe that he was supposed to have transferred to a different bus at Denver to go on to Chicago, but I'm not entirely sure. All I know is that I loaded back onto the bus at Kansas City without incident, but that he was detained at the doorway. It's fair to say that he might not have been doing any good in getting back on the bus if he had already missed his connection, but it's worth saying that there was a bus leaving for Chicago from St. Louis when we were stopped there, so that seemed to be an easy solution.

I couldn't throw Moi his jacket because he was on the other side of glass at the door to the depot, and again, there was a Greyhound employee waiting at the door of the bus, adamant that I couldn't get off. Why he felt he couldn't take the coat over to the door, I don't know. I understand the point some people make about little delays adding up to a lot in a national system, that if Greyhound had a looser policy, then buses would be constantly running behind, and that a slowdown on one bus can screw up a big part of the system. But we were sitting there for at least five minutes after I realized what was going on, and probably more like ten.

The jacket is just indicative of a system where rules become their own reason for being. And while Greyhound was generally good about having signage and announcements in both English and Spanish, the situation was a harsh demonstration of how difficult it can be to get around this country without English skills. As someone with professional expertise in evaluating oral English proficiency, I would guess that Moi had a pre-elementary grasp of English. Like I said: I was worried about making all of my connections myself. I once tried to get to Charles De Gaulle Airport from the Metro and fucked it up so bad that I almost missed my flight.

I have no idea what Greyhound's national policies are. All I can tell you is what I experienced.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Is Franz Kafka Overrated?
    No.
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ▼  March (37)
      • Debs's Pacifist Speechmaking
      • getting past feelings
      • punching down
      • people who won't clean their own house
      • you gotta give people a little sugar
      • stop digging, Erik
      • people believe conspiracy theories because people ...
      • the bigotry of nonexistence
      • The Twitter Feeds of Justice
      • personality hunger and the regulation of consumpti...
      • progress comes from demand
      • looking back
      • where's all the hippie punching?
      • non-interventionists in prominent positions would ...
      • a little additional info
      • my bus ride
      • Indiana
      • Illinois
      • Missouri
      • Kansas
      • Colorado
      • Utah
      • Nevada
      • keep the fires burning
      • sometimes the punishment is being the person who d...
      • admiring the shade on somebody else's deck chair
      • sticky wickets
      • oh, the gravitas
      • Rand Paul's filibuster
      • Cord Jefferson:Hugo Chavez::Bill O'Reilly:Barack O...
      • hilarious, in that depressing way
      • it turns out that class matters
      • you can't eat buzz
      • you've actually got to redistribute the wealth, no...
      • the forest for the trees
      • no enemies (because they are) to my left
      • school reform is antilogic
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile