FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 1 February 2013

liberating just one

Posted on 15:41 by Unknown
When Aaron Swartz died, and his death (rightfully) got so much attention, I wasn't quite sure what to do. I wrote a post about the fact that most of the scholars I've met in my life have wanted to free their research, which only makes his prosecution more absurd and unfair. Beyond that, I didn't know how to respond, without seeming like I was piling on to the hot story of the moment. I do want to share two articles with you, one from The Atlantic and one from Enculturation, which is one of the many fledgling open-access peer reviewed journals out there. The open-access journals are just one of the tools we're using to pry open the gates that are restricting the free access of human knowledge to all people. We'll keep prying. And someday, we'll win.

Some academics responded by offering to get academic articles for anybody who needs them. I hope it goes without saying, but-- if you need something, give me a citation, and I'll email you an article. For now, I just want to liberate one, just one: a remembrance of my father, Fredrik E. deBoer, from 2011 that ran in Asian Theater Journal. He's been gone now 15 years, predeceased by his wife, my mother, by 8. I miss him every day.
Fredrik deBoer by Kathy Foley
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Is Franz Kafka Overrated?
    No.
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ▼  February (35)
      • no reasons for pride
      • getting epistolary
      • bullshit social climber faux-antiracism
      • actually, the Onion's Tweet and McFarlane's jokes ...
      • pretty basic question re: Buzzfeed
      • there's lots of production in the post-work economy
      • Skyfall
      • ball's in your court, Erik
      • good question
      • an open letter to my Democrat friends
      • no thinking person should ever listen to what Will...
      • why we can't fix anything
      • Is Jacobin a political magazine?
      • the Pet Gazette
      • maybe everybody shouldn't abandon professionalism ...
      • links and such
      • jobs is spending is jobs
      • real talk about real talk
      • what people are made of
      • gating comments for awhile
      • ethical concerns make it really, really hard to do...
      • the "Paperman" problem
      • always try to be the talent
      • real and virtual
      • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-...
      • I'm not feeling reassured here
      • actual fascism
      • where the fuck is the IT department
      • the backwards causation
      • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
      • still tinkering
      • Thanks, Dr. K
      • the lobby goes looking for another scalp
      • liberating just one
      • a few addenda to the Bloggingheads talk
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile