FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 17 February 2013

jobs is spending is jobs

Posted on 08:31 by Unknown

In a good post about the unpredictability of the economy, Derek Thompson reveals that medical spending has recently slowed considerably. In a disconnected sense, that's a very good thing, considering that health care spending is one of the very few issues where deficit hawks have a point.

But remember: spending means jobs. For awhile now, the smart money has been on going to school for a bio or premed degree, and then going on to get specific training in a medical field, whether as a doctor or nurse or medical assistant or sundry other positions. After all, all of those frightening projections of ever-growing medical costs mean that money will be coming into that field, and maybe workers can claw themselves out a little shred of that for themselves. That's the basic logic of advocating that people go into medicine; the projections say that money is going in that direction. Speaking as someone who's been on college campuses for the last four years, the push to go into medical fields has been relentless. But if the new projections are right, there's going to be $200 billion less going into medicine than we previously thought.

I've been making the case (again and again and again) that the constantly-expressed notion that we'll have full employment if people are just smart and go into STEM fields is empirically indefensible. It's all bogus; there's no STEM  shortage, no indication that there's going to be a STEM shortage, the trend is towards more STEM majors, very few people take the "impractical" majors that politicians complain about.... Thompson's post demonstrates the folly of safe haven thinking, and the needless cruelty of mocking those who have graduated into a jobless field. Do you really think that there's no chance that, in four or five years, the self-same scolding pundits will be writing about the medical school bubble that's going to crush us all? That Hamilton Nolan (or his nonunion Mexican equivalent) will be writing yet another Gawker post brutally mocking the greedy rubes who chased the medical dollar and now deserve their unhappiness? It would not surprise me at all. I have no idea if that will happen. But neither does anybody else. In those conditions, blaming people for making the wrong gamble on what field to go into isn't just cruel, it's pointless.

The reality of a "all cuts, all the time" approach to governance is fewer jobs and worse conditions for those who do have them. It's inevitable. Short term, the effort must be to stop directly undermining whatever improving employment conditions we have by cutting government jobs. But long term, the effort must be to remove the material security of our people from the whims of a bubble-plagued economy.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ▼  February (35)
      • no reasons for pride
      • getting epistolary
      • bullshit social climber faux-antiracism
      • actually, the Onion's Tweet and McFarlane's jokes ...
      • pretty basic question re: Buzzfeed
      • there's lots of production in the post-work economy
      • Skyfall
      • ball's in your court, Erik
      • good question
      • an open letter to my Democrat friends
      • no thinking person should ever listen to what Will...
      • why we can't fix anything
      • Is Jacobin a political magazine?
      • the Pet Gazette
      • maybe everybody shouldn't abandon professionalism ...
      • links and such
      • jobs is spending is jobs
      • real talk about real talk
      • what people are made of
      • gating comments for awhile
      • ethical concerns make it really, really hard to do...
      • the "Paperman" problem
      • always try to be the talent
      • real and virtual
      • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-...
      • I'm not feeling reassured here
      • actual fascism
      • where the fuck is the IT department
      • the backwards causation
      • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
      • still tinkering
      • Thanks, Dr. K
      • the lobby goes looking for another scalp
      • liberating just one
      • a few addenda to the Bloggingheads talk
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile