FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 17 December 2012

people aren't good at things

Posted on 17:14 by Unknown
I want to make it clear that I'm not at all exempting myself from this point, so: I am generally amazed when I finish a day without hurting myself. I am clumsy, frequently lost in thought, and easily distractable. I am generally speaking bad at all sports or games that involve coordination or agility. And like a lot of people, things just go wrong for me. I was at a mixer on my very first day at my master's program, years back. I was pretty nervous and just wanted to get through the day without embarrassment. While standing on the deck of the faculty member hosting the party, I shifted my weight and my leg broke through, and I fell in down past my knee. I'm thin, I wasn't jumping or pressing hard. It just happened. I think a lot of people know what it's like to attract mini-disasters.

I say this to make it clear that I'm not being an elitist when I say: the "arm everybody" argument for stopping gun crimes is a bad idea, because people aren't good at things. Most people I observe are just serviceable at most skills. Those that require coordination are even worse. It's not a function of intelligence, and I don't intend it as some sort of terrible condemnation of people. I'm just saying, if you've ever watched somebody work the self-scan machine or try and parallel park, I don't know how you can feel confident proposing that regular people carry guns just in case of a spree killing. Cops and the military have to undergo countless hours of training before they are given weapons, and people can and do flunk out of both professions for a lack of skill.

I really shudder to think of what would happen in the chaos of a mass shooting, if many bystanders pull out their own weapons and start firing. It's hard enough for cops to avoid shooting the wrong person or hitting a bystander. I don't see any good that comes from adding more bullets flying around in these situations.

This argument is all over at the moment. Here's Jeffrey Goldberg's version, just as a point of reference:
People should have the ability to defend themselves. Mass shootings take many lives in part because no one is firing back at the shooters. The shooters in recent massacres have had many minutes to complete their evil work, while their victims cower under desks or in closets. One response to the tragic reality that we are a gun-saturated country is to understand that law-abiding, well-trained, non-criminal, wholly sane citizens who are screened by the government have a role to play in their own self-defense, and in the defense of others (read my print article to see how one armed school administrator stopped a mass shooting in Pearl Mississippi). I don't know anything more than anyone else about the shooting in Connecticut at the moment, but it seems fairly obvious that there was no one at or near the school who could have tried to fight back.
I'm not being glib when I say this: I wonder if Jeff Goldberg has seen most people operate a motor vehicle or even a cart in the supermarket. I know that most people believe themselves to be competent, and they are, at certain skills or talents. But most people are never going to be good at most things, and shooting a gun is a complex skill that requires a lot of practice, and one where failure to perform adequately has tragic results. Solutions that presume broad competencies shared by large groups of people just aren't solutions.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ▼  2012 (139)
    • ▼  December (26)
      • Trickstarting
      • the trouble with Brave
      • a little reading material re: material v. affectiv...
      • 10 points for Hufflepuff
      • If yule excuse me...
      • where are the posts attacking Joe Scarborough?
      • the real problem with Instagram's policy is not th...
      • giving up the floor
      • drilling down
      • people aren't good at things
      • continued, or to be continued
      • Bill Zeller and Newtown
      • good for some, good for all
      • solidarity forever
      • Gawker is full of shit, continued
      • let's dip our toes in the fetid waters of liberal ...
      • addendum
      • bad faith and Zero Dark Thirty
      • sacrifices from Democrats and Democrats alike
      • delenda est
      • there is no such thing as society
      • the very serious version
      • a prophetic vision
      • my Civil War high school education
      • the Daily goes down
      • if we really need to be saved from irony, this isn...
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile