FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 18 December 2012

giving up the floor

Posted on 07:56 by Unknown
Since I've been going back and forth with commenter Q, I think it is only fair to give her/him the floor without my commentary as a way to wrap up.

Our degrees of optimism and perhaps our assessment of where America is "racially" also seem to differ. You express worry about white people opting out of racial dialogue. I think they already have. I think we're in the middle of the most racist and least racially aware generation since the 60's, and I think a combination of color-blind racism as well as the lack of meaningful correctives to racial consequences has caused a reassertion of whiteness that's striking to me.

I think every single advantage black people have accrued since the 60's is eroded or on the cusp of being eroded, I think most meaningful efforts to combat and societally resist white racism have been undermined and that there's a general assumption that willpower - divorced from political action to remove white power - is sufficient. I think the primary culprit of this collective, societal, white American failure is that what's racist and non-racist, what's racially positive and racially divisive, what's necessary and what's not has been exclusively defined according white terms and in ways that are consistent with white morality. Which is to say, it's been defined in a way that's explicitly comfortable to white premises, white understanding and, mostly damningly, white stability. Morality has been asked to conform to whiteness without an acknowledgment of their incompatibility.

The desire to maintain the racialized reality of that stability, and the efforts to use vocal anti-racist language and solidarity to advance narratives that rearrange but never challenge the fundamental nature of white supremacy is founded on this key fault. You predict a dismal racial reality where whites feel excluded, and that's fine and dandy. But you should perhaps incorporate into your imagination that the open desire to include white perspectives, white opinions and white assent is what led us to a point where black people came a hair away from losing their voting rights, where they lost welfare before they could materially take advantage of it, and where they're losing affirmative action (thanks, largely, to a white Millennial) and where the stereotypes, discrimination and depicted racism is just as prominent but more silent.

I think black people have had enough white input and I think if you're going to prize it and defend your self-serving application of it, you should at least consider that the blanket interpretation of its ends as "positive" is not self-evident.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Is Franz Kafka Overrated?
    No.
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ▼  2012 (139)
    • ▼  December (26)
      • Trickstarting
      • the trouble with Brave
      • a little reading material re: material v. affectiv...
      • 10 points for Hufflepuff
      • If yule excuse me...
      • where are the posts attacking Joe Scarborough?
      • the real problem with Instagram's policy is not th...
      • giving up the floor
      • drilling down
      • people aren't good at things
      • continued, or to be continued
      • Bill Zeller and Newtown
      • good for some, good for all
      • solidarity forever
      • Gawker is full of shit, continued
      • let's dip our toes in the fetid waters of liberal ...
      • addendum
      • bad faith and Zero Dark Thirty
      • sacrifices from Democrats and Democrats alike
      • delenda est
      • there is no such thing as society
      • the very serious version
      • a prophetic vision
      • my Civil War high school education
      • the Daily goes down
      • if we really need to be saved from irony, this isn...
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile