FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 6 December 2012

there is no such thing as society

Posted on 13:50 by Unknown
I've been thinking of Margaret Thatcher, actually, when it comes to Douthat's birthrate concerns. The problem with the conversation is that Douthat is talking about what he perceives to be a societal need to have more babies, but children are going to be had by couples, and more accurately by individual women. The problem is that even if you agreed with him that we need higher birthrates, you're stuck with the fact that individuals are the ones who are going to bear the burden. And in particular,  individual women are going to have to sacrifice a great deal in order to make this rise in birthrates happen.

Thatcher was speaking about the idea of societal obligation to provide to those who couldn't provide for themselves. Her point was that while we might talk about a societal obligation to provide, it's individuals who get taxed. For a lefty like me, that's an okay tradeoff, but her point remains important, which is not to let talk of society obscure individual desires. Here, we're talking about a burden that falls unequally on women, and one that is far more personal, physical, and invasive than paying taxes. The continuing failure of Douthat and other conservatives to recognize that as a burden at all speaks volumes about why single women remain such a reliably liberal constituency. If only men were expected to pay taxes, I'd understand them being specially concerned with the issue, and paying taxes is hardly as extreme as pregancy.

It's simply the case that women have special interests when the topic is child rearing, and anyone discussing the issue should take pains to recognize those special interests, and the paramount importance of women's opinions on the topic.

Douthat, of course, is not talking about coercing anyone into having children they don't want to have. But then, that's part of the difficulty with this issue: what do we want to do, and to what extent and effect? I'm not pulling a wonk and saying "where's the policy angle, here?" I am asking, though, for a more concrete understanding of what kind of pressures Douthat wants us to apply, and how extreme he thinks that pressure should be. Like a lot of people, I intuitively believe that when it comes to the highly personal decision of whether to have kids or more kids, the answer is none.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Is Franz Kafka Overrated?
    No.
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ▼  2012 (139)
    • ▼  December (26)
      • Trickstarting
      • the trouble with Brave
      • a little reading material re: material v. affectiv...
      • 10 points for Hufflepuff
      • If yule excuse me...
      • where are the posts attacking Joe Scarborough?
      • the real problem with Instagram's policy is not th...
      • giving up the floor
      • drilling down
      • people aren't good at things
      • continued, or to be continued
      • Bill Zeller and Newtown
      • good for some, good for all
      • solidarity forever
      • Gawker is full of shit, continued
      • let's dip our toes in the fetid waters of liberal ...
      • addendum
      • bad faith and Zero Dark Thirty
      • sacrifices from Democrats and Democrats alike
      • delenda est
      • there is no such thing as society
      • the very serious version
      • a prophetic vision
      • my Civil War high school education
      • the Daily goes down
      • if we really need to be saved from irony, this isn...
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile