FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 11 December 2012

addendum

Posted on 20:02 by Unknown
1. There is no such thing as an apolitical movie. Few things are more political than the pose of being apolitical. Calling a movie that deals with current events of immense controversy apolitical is absurd. Calling a movie what opens with depictions of 9/11 apolitical is weaselly horseshit.

2. A "neutral point of view" and "refusal to judge," even if such a thing were possible, is not the mark of some mature artistic sensibility or refined aesthetic. It's a sign of moral cowardice. When Bigelow and the screenwriter say that they aren't presenting a political agenda or are merely presenting the facts, that in and of itself is advancing a political agenda. And saying you refuse to judge torture isn't a defense from criticism, it's self-indictment, because a refusal to judge torture is fucking immoral and disgusting.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ▼  2012 (139)
    • ▼  December (26)
      • Trickstarting
      • the trouble with Brave
      • a little reading material re: material v. affectiv...
      • 10 points for Hufflepuff
      • If yule excuse me...
      • where are the posts attacking Joe Scarborough?
      • the real problem with Instagram's policy is not th...
      • giving up the floor
      • drilling down
      • people aren't good at things
      • continued, or to be continued
      • Bill Zeller and Newtown
      • good for some, good for all
      • solidarity forever
      • Gawker is full of shit, continued
      • let's dip our toes in the fetid waters of liberal ...
      • addendum
      • bad faith and Zero Dark Thirty
      • sacrifices from Democrats and Democrats alike
      • delenda est
      • there is no such thing as society
      • the very serious version
      • a prophetic vision
      • my Civil War high school education
      • the Daily goes down
      • if we really need to be saved from irony, this isn...
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile