FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 13 December 2012

Gawker is full of shit, continued

Posted on 09:36 by Unknown
So awhile back I took Gawker to task for getting righteous about the publication of prurient pictures of women without their consent, when Gawker media itself has long profited off of the same thing. I didn't have a problem with outing the terrible, terrible Redditor ViolentAcrez as the proprietor of CreepShots. I did have a problem with Gawker doing it, as they (and their subsidiaries like Fleshbot) have hosted and linked to photos of nude or nearly nude women who did not consent to having those photos taken or published. The fact that the women in question are celebrities is irrelevant to me: celebrities do not give up their right to an expectation of privacy when it comes to their naked bodies. I'm not advocating legal restrictions on such photos, as I don't think that's enforceable. But I do think it's gross, and I think Gawker (and Adrian Chen specifically) is immensely hypocritical to be prosecuting that argument. (This opinion gave some New York big media types a sad, as Nick Denton and Gawker have paid or currently pay their rent.)

Well, yesterday, Gawker hosted a photo of Anne Hathaway's exposed genitals, a photo she certainly did not intend to be taken or published. And they got clicks and links out of it, which means they made money off of it. I won't link to that post, because I don't want to be part of that chain, but you can find it easily enough.

Today, Hathaway said exactly what needs to be said:

 "It kind of made me sad on two accounts. One, that I was very sad that we live in an age when someone takes a picture of another person in a vulnerable moment and rather than delete it, and do the decent thing, sells it.
And I'm sorry that we live in a culture that commodifies sexuality of unwilling participants...."

And that's the point exactly:  Prurient photos of a private part of Anne Hathaway's body were taken. Gawker published them. They profited off of it, less than a year after outing somebody for doing the same. The only way this is not blatant hypocrisy is if you believe that being a celebrity means you have no expectation of privacy when it comes to your physical body. So is anybody going to pop up at Gawker Media and call out the boss? Will Jezebel take its usual wrathful self-righteousness and apply it to cleaning up its own house?

I doubt it!

Update: I'm informed that Gawker Media sold Fleshbot awhile back. That's my mistake and I apologize for it. Worth saying, though, that they definitely featured the kind of content I'm referring to while under Gawker's ownership, as the flagship site continues to do.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Is Franz Kafka Overrated?
    No.
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ▼  2012 (139)
    • ▼  December (26)
      • Trickstarting
      • the trouble with Brave
      • a little reading material re: material v. affectiv...
      • 10 points for Hufflepuff
      • If yule excuse me...
      • where are the posts attacking Joe Scarborough?
      • the real problem with Instagram's policy is not th...
      • giving up the floor
      • drilling down
      • people aren't good at things
      • continued, or to be continued
      • Bill Zeller and Newtown
      • good for some, good for all
      • solidarity forever
      • Gawker is full of shit, continued
      • let's dip our toes in the fetid waters of liberal ...
      • addendum
      • bad faith and Zero Dark Thirty
      • sacrifices from Democrats and Democrats alike
      • delenda est
      • there is no such thing as society
      • the very serious version
      • a prophetic vision
      • my Civil War high school education
      • the Daily goes down
      • if we really need to be saved from irony, this isn...
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile