FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 6 April 2011

the real litmus test for Republican seriousness

Posted on 14:41 by Unknown
"Serious" is a word that has been so denuded of content that I'm tempted to not even try and rehabilitate it. However, since we're debating this concept so fiercely regarding the Ryan Ripoff, I'd like to propose one litmus test for whether a Republican proposal represents toughness or seriousness, etc., in the way people mean it does: its orientation towards tax cuts on the wealthy. People keep saying, again and again, that this plan "touches the third rail" by proposing entitlement cuts. No it does not. The third rail for Republicans is raising taxes on the wealthy. And what does the Ryan budget do? It not only doesn't raise taxes on the rich, it cuts them. Among all the talk of shared sacrifice, with all the insistence that we've got to "get tough" and suffer together, on and on, it cuts taxes on the rich.

This is what has made so many conservative commentators so frustrating on this issue: they keep praising it for making touch choices when the choices are only tough on constituencies Republicans don't give a shit about, and for being tough in cutting things when what is being cut are things Republicans don't give a shit about. You want me to buy into claims of seriousness or toughness? Take on the actual power base of the Republican party and abandon the tax-cuts-for-the-rich orthodoxy. Then you can talk about toughness and seriousness. But, of course, you'll likely see no such proposal.

A Republican proposal that cuts taxes on the rich and cuts support for the poor is being called post partisan, gutsy, a new turn, revolutionary.... Bogus.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ▼  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ▼  April (27)
      • the sexual revolution happened for a reason
      • Portrait of My Father as a Young Man
      • keep radio silence
      • balloon juice post
      • illuminating!
      • few more things about college
      • wars are always founded on untruth
      • you're doing it wrong
      • Yglesias responds
      • reducing college costs
      • speak up, my man, and be accounted for
      • yet another casualty
      • once again: there can't be a higher education bubble
      • Katie Roiphe is just the worst
      • you can't defend something by constantly apologizi...
      • a bit more on Ulysses
      • their new scheme
      • correction
      • it only takes one reason
      • non-rhetorical questions and out of control abstra...
      • the real litmus test for Republican seriousness
      • seriousness and honesty are only conditionally vir...
      • all by yourself
      • straight fire
      • failing students drop classes
      • reason for optimism
      • today in unfortunate yet amazing errors, Freddie e...
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile