FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 8 January 2013

not what you think but what you are

Posted on 19:58 by Unknown

I criticize the vague, toothless social liberalism that is shared by the large majority of those in the media not because I disagree with the sentiments, but because those commitments are absolutely empty, abandoned with the slightest pretense. Dividing social liberalism from economic reform has always been a boon to the ruling class, and an impediment to actual social justice, as nothing will improve the lives of the oppressed without structural economic change. But even beyond that, the typical commitment to these principles-- anti-racism, feminism, gay and transgender rights and acceptance, etc.-- tends to be paper thin. And even those whose commitments I don't question have a tendency to abandon them when it suits them. I love Alyssa Rosenberg and her work, but Louis CK could spit on Emmett Till's grave and she'd find some tangled explanation to excuse it. (Here's CK making with the comedy! You see, it's funny because it's a white guy repeatedly saying "nigger.")

So take Slate, and Daniel Engber, and the charming headline "Don't Bury Mike Shanahan at Wounded Knee." You see, this is hilarious, because there's a controversy surrounding the decision to play quarterback Robert Griffin III despite his knee injury, and he plays for a team called the Redskins, and hundreds of innocent Native Americans were brutally slaughtered in a racist massacre and thrown in a  mass grave. What profound whimsy! Nothing like brutal savagery meted out in the commission of state-sanctioned genocide to tickle the funny bone! I can't wait to see Slate's headlines riffing on Kristallnacht and the Middle Passage.

Of course, Engber and all of Slate's editors would insist that they care very much about the history of American Indian oppression and the horrors of Wounded Knee. And, hey, it's just a little joke, can't you take a harmless jest, on the serious level we care about this stuff.... What you have to have the courage to say-- despite the fact that they will do everything to undermine, dismiss, insult, and belittle you-- is that, no, in fact, people who make these kinds of jokes don't actually care about what happened at Wounded Knee, and don't actually care about the unspeakable atrocities that were inflicted on this country's native people. No one who is willing to look that legacy in the face could make such a casually cruel joke.

Look, I know exactly how this sort of thing goes over. If these things matter to you in an existential way, rather than as fashion, you'll be considered a bore, and a scold. It's inevitable. What you'll encounter in your life, if you hold onto these commitments not only when they are socially acceptable but when they aren't, is people who claim to agree on the principles while they simultaneously make a thousand excuses and insist on why this particular instance is the exception. Many people who are ostensibly concerned about this stuff live in those exceptions. And if you're interested in my advice, then it's simple: if you want to work to make the world better, don't live in the exceptions. Embody the principle. No matter how often they call you joyless, or pretentious, or holier-than-thou.

I get the accusations all the time. People ask me, Freddie, why are you so self-righteous. And I say, I'm not; it's only the contrast that makes you think I am. I just happen to really believe this stuff. I actually believe it, and so there's no room for exceptions. That's all.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ▼  January (43)
      • couple of bros, chattin' about stuff
      • wat
      • actually, Matt Lewis is full of poop
      • the UBI and socializing finance
      • slippery things
      • stuffed up
      • ah, consistency
      • high school is nearly everybody
      • I need to tame this wild tongue if I'm to touch th...
      • stuff
      • norms of control
      • the quiet insistence of the real
      • a reason to care about those high definition screens
      • you probably don't have an opinion on poetry
      • oh savage hearts
      • I am at your disposal
      • MLK and Stonewall are the rejection of gradualism
      • and now it's time to pay these guys
      • I just fucked up in trying to prove that I didn't ...
      • narrative delusions
      • in trouble again
      • Alexis Madrigal is peddling bullshit once again (a...
      • some links and such
      • they seem to know where they are going, the ones w...
      • what are the rights of the disfavored?
      • "liberal interventionists" care about establishmen...
      • I hate to play to my image, but...
      • a handy guide to the use of "we"
      • due credit
      • singular "their" and the grammar wars
      • Reactionary Minds in antiquity
      • so strange
      • academics want their work to be available
      • against critical shorthand
      • house cleaning
      • In greatest travesty of the 21st century, a pretty...
      • more reporting, less generalism, more beats, less ...
      • not what you think but what you are
      • well this is odd
      • crappiness and its acceptance
      • Merry Christmas indeed
      • good luck to Sully, and to all
      • #thosesavageislams
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile