FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 12 January 2013

so strange

Posted on 17:56 by Unknown
Timothy B. Lee has written a remembrance of Aaron Swartz that contains a constant drip of bizarre, out-of-context American chauvinism, suggesting that Swartz's activism and curiosity are less indicative of his character and upbringing and more a consequence of his country of origin. It's a shame, because Lee's post hides a far more humane, far better point about genuine disobedience, one that's lost in the useless consideration of the fiction that is Americanness. It's like he can't help himself. To be fair, Lee is playing off of Paul Graham, but the whole enterprise is just profoundly strange. Lee equates Americanness with unruly experimentation, apparently having never heard of Alan Turing or Niels Bohr or Yoshihiro Yakamatsu, or that cultures like those in France or the Netherlands have a far deeper history of tolerance for actual disruption-- as opposed to that which only serves capitalism-- than in the United States. He is also apparently unaware that what Silicon Valley is most interested in producing is new ways to send people photos of your junk and social networks for cats.

More than the ugliness of the American chauvinism is the simple failure to make the argument he wants to make. I see absolutely no reason to think that Swartz would not have been the person he would have been had he been born in another country; no reason to believe that he would have been less likely to have been prosecuted in an earlier decade; and no reason to believe that this whole awful scenario says anything about some special Americanness and its lack among those in other countries. The whole piece uses the pitched emotions inspired by Swartz's death to obscure the fundamentally failures of Lee's argument. Lee would, no doubt, admit that there are brilliant, creative, and unruly thinkers the world over. So what provokes this sort of thing? He's writing this at a time of profound American failure-- military, economic, political. At such times, arguments inevitably sprout up to assert American superiority. I think it's a straightforward example of the patriotism of anxiety.

I cannot imagine occupying the mindset that responds to this tragedy by looking for an excuse to engage in nationalism. It's particularly unfortunate because so much of the ideology of digital activism and freedom of information that Swartz represented is explicitly, defiantly international, with no use for patriotism or borders. Indeed, few things could be less patriotic than disobedience; invocations of country are, after all, a mechanism of control.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Is Franz Kafka Overrated?
    No.
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ▼  January (43)
      • couple of bros, chattin' about stuff
      • wat
      • actually, Matt Lewis is full of poop
      • the UBI and socializing finance
      • slippery things
      • stuffed up
      • ah, consistency
      • high school is nearly everybody
      • I need to tame this wild tongue if I'm to touch th...
      • stuff
      • norms of control
      • the quiet insistence of the real
      • a reason to care about those high definition screens
      • you probably don't have an opinion on poetry
      • oh savage hearts
      • I am at your disposal
      • MLK and Stonewall are the rejection of gradualism
      • and now it's time to pay these guys
      • I just fucked up in trying to prove that I didn't ...
      • narrative delusions
      • in trouble again
      • Alexis Madrigal is peddling bullshit once again (a...
      • some links and such
      • they seem to know where they are going, the ones w...
      • what are the rights of the disfavored?
      • "liberal interventionists" care about establishmen...
      • I hate to play to my image, but...
      • a handy guide to the use of "we"
      • due credit
      • singular "their" and the grammar wars
      • Reactionary Minds in antiquity
      • so strange
      • academics want their work to be available
      • against critical shorthand
      • house cleaning
      • In greatest travesty of the 21st century, a pretty...
      • more reporting, less generalism, more beats, less ...
      • not what you think but what you are
      • well this is odd
      • crappiness and its acceptance
      • Merry Christmas indeed
      • good luck to Sully, and to all
      • #thosesavageislams
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile