FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 30 January 2013

actually, Matt Lewis is full of poop

Posted on 16:27 by Unknown
A few people have sent me this Matt Lewis piece about hating Twitter, expecting me to like it, as I have complained about Twitter myself. Kind of strange that they would think so; the piece is one of those calls for civility and decorum that get published every six months. Well, civility is bullshit and decorum is bullshit and comity is bullshit and going along to get along is bullshit and let's all be friends is bullshit. That's democracy, that's adulthood.

Actually, my problem has never been with Twitter itself, it's been with a particular attitude about its use-- which Lewis's piece exemplifies. Lewis talks about the ways in which Twitter has raised his profile and publicized his work. That's the good thing about a public medium! But when you say things in public, some times mean people say mean things about what you've said in public. That's the bad thing about a public medium! There are options you have to get the publicity; there are options you have to avoid the meanies. There are no options that give you both. Lewis completely undoes his own point when he mentions having a private, invite-only Twitter feed. Don't like mean people? There you go, Matt: make your tweets private. But he wants both, the publicity and the protection, and you can't have that. Lewis's problem is not with Twitter. It's with that basic contradiction.

If you don't like what Lewis said about Twitter, your best path forward is to do what he refuses to do: choose to have a public Twitter, or choose to have a private Twitter, and act accordingly. The funny thing is that I think Lewis's biggest critics here are often guilty of the same thing, which is acting like a public Twitter is a private conversation between friends. It isn't. When you have a public Twitter feed, your tweets show up on a freely-accessible website. (I believe it's called "Twitter.com.") I can see how you might lose track of the fact that your Twitter conversations are public, but sorry, that's the nature of the beast. Ask Nir Rosen about it sometime. Sometimes people get on me when I hit back at people who have talked shit about me on Twitter. (In fact, I had a certain blogger darling send me a very unhappy email about it.) Sorry, you guys: you put something out there in public, it's public. If you come at me, I'll come right back. Don't want that? Save it for your fucking diary.

Public or private-- it's up to you. But you have to choose.

Update: Regular emailer Zed: "Blogger darling who complained has to be Sunkara, right?"

No way. Bhaskar is in my bloc.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Is Franz Kafka Overrated?
    No.
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ▼  January (43)
      • couple of bros, chattin' about stuff
      • wat
      • actually, Matt Lewis is full of poop
      • the UBI and socializing finance
      • slippery things
      • stuffed up
      • ah, consistency
      • high school is nearly everybody
      • I need to tame this wild tongue if I'm to touch th...
      • stuff
      • norms of control
      • the quiet insistence of the real
      • a reason to care about those high definition screens
      • you probably don't have an opinion on poetry
      • oh savage hearts
      • I am at your disposal
      • MLK and Stonewall are the rejection of gradualism
      • and now it's time to pay these guys
      • I just fucked up in trying to prove that I didn't ...
      • narrative delusions
      • in trouble again
      • Alexis Madrigal is peddling bullshit once again (a...
      • some links and such
      • they seem to know where they are going, the ones w...
      • what are the rights of the disfavored?
      • "liberal interventionists" care about establishmen...
      • I hate to play to my image, but...
      • a handy guide to the use of "we"
      • due credit
      • singular "their" and the grammar wars
      • Reactionary Minds in antiquity
      • so strange
      • academics want their work to be available
      • against critical shorthand
      • house cleaning
      • In greatest travesty of the 21st century, a pretty...
      • more reporting, less generalism, more beats, less ...
      • not what you think but what you are
      • well this is odd
      • crappiness and its acceptance
      • Merry Christmas indeed
      • good luck to Sully, and to all
      • #thosesavageislams
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile