FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 9 November 2012

there has to be more to critical practice than criticism

Posted on 14:38 by Unknown
I complain a lot about mainstream liberalism/progressivism's various problems, but never let it be said that the real left-wing can't drive you crazy. (I could write a book, really.) Now, this is gonna be a bit tricky to write, because what I'm writing about is self-implicating: the endless ability of the left-wing to criticize its own practice.

I'm inspired to say this by this recent effort by Occupy types to purchase debt at a lower price than what is owed (a common practice) and then freeing the indebted from their obligation. I saw a familiar pattern among the Facebook and Twitter set, now sped up to the point of self-parody: people get excited by some new idea or campaign, people want to deflate that bubble of enthusiasm and start poking holes, and before you know it everyone is shitting on the new idea. I understand: this is never going to happen at a wide-enough scale to be a feasible solution. I also get, I guess, that buying the debt drives up the price of the debt-- although doesn't the former complaint undercut the latter? Personally, I find this effort to be a smart fusion of symbolism and practical solution: symbolic because it helps call attention to a the debt problem, an area of genuine and extreme need (and not at all limited to student loan debt), and practical for the direct beneficiaries, who will have their lives helped considerably. Is that really something to immediately begin looking down your nose at?

I love the fact that the left-wing is self-critical. Contra Thomas Frank, I don't think caring about theory and getting practice right is a failing. In fact, I think it is the only way for true left-wing practice to endure, to matter. But there's a difference between an appropriate critical skepticism and a constant shit-eating "look at how clever my critique is" nihilism, and I'm sorry that the online space is absolutely full of the latter. Our problems are huge. Our enemies are many. Our efforts and our resources are limited. But with integrity and determination, good things can happen-- but only as long as we aren't busy tearing down every proposal before it gets off the ground.

To put it more bluntly: what are you doing to fix things?
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ▼  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ▼  November (26)
      • stuff you need to think about if you want to go to...
      • liberal essentialism
      • the way we argue and liberal peacocking
      • teehee
      • deep thoughts with James Atlas
      • thank god for what workplace regulation we have
      • working class life has become impossible
      • iCarly needs no defense
      • Up with Chris Hayes continues to impress
      • thanks
      • coercion
      • addendum
      • the great trivialization
      • to put it more simply
      • there may be a vlog in the offing. flee.
      • support The New Inquiry
      • exactly the kind of story we don't handle well
      • Petraeus, the word made flesh
      • empiricism is inextricable from theory, data is me...
      • there has to be more to critical practice than cri...
      • Our liberal media
      • plenty of reasons to feel good today
      • time to make out with a stranger in Grant Park again
      • all over but the crying
      • Erik Loomis's 2013
      • drones and election 2012
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile