FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 6 November 2012

time to make out with a stranger in Grant Park again

Posted on 20:31 by Unknown
Well, I voted. I successfully resisted the urge to vote for Rupert from Survivor for Governor just because it would feel a little amazing to vote for Rupert from Survivor. Pretty quotidian and predictable ballot for a guy like me.

My official prediction is the same as it would be if Romney had been reelected: we'll have four more years of militarism, inequality, a rapacious and unrestrained financial sector, failure to do anything meaningful about global warming, low-paying and low-quality jobs, record deportations, mass imprisonment of black men, lack of major relief for homeowners, capture of our political process by the rich, privatization of education through discredited reform efforts, failure to ease the student debt burden, the steady death of civil liberties, our collective punishment of the Muslim world, two parties that are wholly owned by capital, and our continued and inevitable decline.

I also think that, in a second term, there's a reasonably high chance that Obama will either order airstrikes on Iran or put Social Security/Medicare in play in a serious way. Neither of those could be protected from criticism by being called niche issues. The scary possibility is that this would split the liberal coalition in an destructive way. The scarier possibility is that it wouldn't. Given the conduct of liberal blogs in this election season, I seriously question whether those or any other issues are non-negotiable. But there's also a much better chance of a defense of Obamacare, and probably a Supreme Court nomination or two, and those are both incredibly important. And I hold out hope that maybe a second term Obama will push for marijuana legalization or something like that. (It's not a very rational hope, I know.)

I think our politics, economy, and environment are broken, perhaps irretrievably. But you move forward. I hope that people work to make the lesser evil a little less evil the next time we choose the lesser evil, and to blame their failures on them and not on people who agree that they've failed. And I hope they all actually take up the call they've put out so loudly, which is to work in the off years to push the electorate to the left, to make primaries meaningful, and to issue actually criticisms of Democrats in a way that advances the left-wing cause. Make them earn it, make them worthy of it.

Short term goal: no more major American cities swallowed by the sea.

Update: Good for Nate Silver, and to hell with all of the people who have criticized him. But I do think the take away about the polling being accurate is not that Nate Silver is a genius but that polling isn't that hard and inferential statistics are powerful, powerful tools.

Plus: gay marriage! Legalized marijuana! Woo!

Update II: "It's a center-right country" means nothing, whether spoken by a conservative or a liberal. And "Hispanics are a natural conservative constituency" is just wrong. I mean people have been saying that for thirty years. They vote like liberal Dems in large majorities.

Oh, I got to vote against one of the rape guys, Mourdock. That was a lot of fun.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Is Franz Kafka Overrated?
    No.
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ▼  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ▼  November (26)
      • stuff you need to think about if you want to go to...
      • liberal essentialism
      • the way we argue and liberal peacocking
      • teehee
      • deep thoughts with James Atlas
      • thank god for what workplace regulation we have
      • working class life has become impossible
      • iCarly needs no defense
      • Up with Chris Hayes continues to impress
      • thanks
      • coercion
      • addendum
      • the great trivialization
      • to put it more simply
      • there may be a vlog in the offing. flee.
      • support The New Inquiry
      • exactly the kind of story we don't handle well
      • Petraeus, the word made flesh
      • empiricism is inextricable from theory, data is me...
      • there has to be more to critical practice than cri...
      • Our liberal media
      • plenty of reasons to feel good today
      • time to make out with a stranger in Grant Park again
      • all over but the crying
      • Erik Loomis's 2013
      • drones and election 2012
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile