FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 2 April 2013

the kind of tip jar I'd like

Posted on 20:30 by Unknown
So a reader gave me, through Amazon, a really generous gift, for which I'm deeply grateful. It makes me feel even worse about how awful of a correspondent I am with people who write to thank or praise me. Those emails mean the world to me. And they do especially because I can be, well, a prickly pear. The trouble is, I have a hard time writing back.... I don't really know why. I have always found it far easier to argue with people I disagree with than to express solidarity with people I agree with. It's a character flaw. Please understand that I value everyone who reads this, even those who hate read it.

The world of media continues to ponder how to keep itself financially solvent. I've thought a lot about all of the different ways that monetization can happen. It really does seem like there's a handful of unattractive options for most bloggers out there. You can festoon your blog with ads, or you can rattle the tip jar fairly constantly. I don't begrudge anyone who does those things; it's just that neither are pleasant and neither seems likely to raise much money for all but the most popular blogs. One of the things I've noticed about the new Andrew Sullivan endeavor (to which I've subscribed) is that even with the paywall, he's having to constantly plead for more subscribers. Still, I'll take that over "sponsored content" any day.

I have the luxury of doing this for fun. I've never had a tip jar, or anything, but I have had people buy me things from my Amazon wish list before. I'm always humbled when they do. But it's a lot to ask people to pony up, at a minimum, $20-$25 for a book. So here's what I wish existed. What I'd like for people to be able to do would be to pitch in however little bit they wanted for a specific book that I need. A lot of these academic books on my list are pretty pricey. But if people could throw in a spare $3 or $5 to a specific book I would be currently highlighting, it wouldn't take much from anybody individually. I know entering your credit card info is always kind of dicey, but maybe this sort of thing could be set up through Amazon. Would be cool if there was that kind of program.

In any event: thanks for the gift, and thanks again to all of you. It makes me happy to know that I bring something to the table for you guys.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Is Franz Kafka Overrated?
    No.
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ▼  April (39)
      • maxxin
      • actually, let's not censor opinions we don't like
      • the point is to build a mass party you can live with
      • Bloggingheads
      • swagger is self-defeating
      • every word.
      • bad behavior
      • hate to say I told you so
      • somebody call a logician
      • "What class."
      • existential threats
      • PERL bleg
      • just a little reminder
      • good news everyone
      • Gawker is on fire
      • consent is an instrument of freedom
      • keep radio silence
      • same old same, really
      • All Up In Your Grill with Chris Hayes
      • the thing is that we're losing
      • links and such
      • I will repeat myself
      • how to prove conservative stereotypes about libera...
      • a brief, nasty case of Very Serious Syndrome
      • we're still living in Thatcher's world
      • re: that Rebecca Schuman piece
      • Sunday morning audio
      • somewhere far, far away
      • Give advice or heap ridicule, but don't call one t...
      • See you soon
      • support and solidarity for the educated, privilege...
      • Lee Alexander McQueen
      • a good example
      • the kind of tip jar I'd like
      • you can turn off the internet
      • funny thing about principle
      • structural change requires new structures
      • prerequisite questions
      • nota bene
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile