FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 23 April 2013

somebody call a logician

Posted on 09:50 by Unknown
Andrew Sullivan is making one of those stands of his. He has alleged that (of course) the Boston bombing "was jihad." It remains entirely unclear to me what people mean when they allege jihad, other than as a panicky signalling mechanism. But let's take the more direct issue at hand, whether the Tsarnaev brothers were motivated by extremist religion. As Glenn Greenwald points out, Sullivan has proved that a) the elder Tsarnaev brother had strong Islamic religious convictions and that b) the brothers are very likely guilty of committing violent crimes. There's a missing connection there.

Sullivan (who is, as always, being very good about highlighting and addressing criticism of his own work), has essentially doubled down. Here he responds to Kevin Drum, and again, Sully seems to believe that all that is required to prove that the impetus was Islamic radicalism is to prove that the perpetrators were Muslim and that they committed violence. There's something missing, there.

To me, though, the question isn't whether Tamerlan Tsarnaev believed he was waging jihad. The question is, what's the difference for our next step? How and why would a religious motivation matter? Where the question of Islamic extremism is made relevant is in our perception that there is a larger network of extremists who are eager and able to launch violent attacks against this country. As you know, I'm a skeptic about the size and destructive ability of that network. But it is ancillary to the conversation, because all of our current best evidence suggests that the Tsarnaev brothers worked alone, and had no connection to Al Qaeda or any other anti-American group. The analogy for the Tsarnaev brothers shouldn't be to the 9/11 hijackers but to the Fort Hood shooter or the DC snipers. Sure: individuals or small groups have the ability to be inspired (in whole or in part) by Islam, along with personal anger and feelings of inadequacy and grievance against American foreign policy and plain old sociopathy. And because of the reality of modern technology, these people have the ability to kill other people. What they do not have, and should not be mistaken for having, is the ability to represent a serious threat to the basic security and prosperity of this or any other country.

Today, Sullivan quoted Norman Geras:
The supposed ‘overreaction’ to terrorist attacks isn’t primarily about the extent of risk relative to accidental death, or about fear for one’s own safety. It’s about people taking quite proper exception when, finding it morally outrageous indeed that, individuals moved by some grievance or other and/or the tenets of a murderous ideology, freely choose to put the innocent in peril by random acts of violence.
Well, first: this attitude is perfectly indicative of the American chauvinism that so many in the rest of the world find enraging, the notion that our moral outrage is somehow more important or more acute than those of non-Americans. And I would not be myself if I didn't point out that the United States, motivated by some grievance or other and/or the tenets of our murderous ideology, has freely chosen to put the innocent in peril by random acts of violence for much of our history, and attacks like 9/11 are directly related to that. The response to commit violence against Americans is most certainly not proper; in fact it's inexcusable. But please: let's talk like adults.

Talking like adults compels me to read the opinions of Geras and people like him and say, so what? What does the reason behind the panicked, enraged reaction have to do with the best public policy moving forward? Even if hatred and panic are natural reactions, they are not a rational, self-interested response to these types of events. I simply do not understand why adults, 12 years after 9/11, can't separate the moral and emotional revulsion to acts of terrorism from a rational, pragmatic response to those acts. I'm sorry that emotions are so inflamed, but grown ups have to learn to put self-destructive emotions aside for their own good. We've responded with panic and violent overreaction for too long. Time to change.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Is Franz Kafka Overrated?
    No.
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ▼  April (39)
      • maxxin
      • actually, let's not censor opinions we don't like
      • the point is to build a mass party you can live with
      • Bloggingheads
      • swagger is self-defeating
      • every word.
      • bad behavior
      • hate to say I told you so
      • somebody call a logician
      • "What class."
      • existential threats
      • PERL bleg
      • just a little reminder
      • good news everyone
      • Gawker is on fire
      • consent is an instrument of freedom
      • keep radio silence
      • same old same, really
      • All Up In Your Grill with Chris Hayes
      • the thing is that we're losing
      • links and such
      • I will repeat myself
      • how to prove conservative stereotypes about libera...
      • a brief, nasty case of Very Serious Syndrome
      • we're still living in Thatcher's world
      • re: that Rebecca Schuman piece
      • Sunday morning audio
      • somewhere far, far away
      • Give advice or heap ridicule, but don't call one t...
      • See you soon
      • support and solidarity for the educated, privilege...
      • Lee Alexander McQueen
      • a good example
      • the kind of tip jar I'd like
      • you can turn off the internet
      • funny thing about principle
      • structural change requires new structures
      • prerequisite questions
      • nota bene
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile