FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 4 April 2013

support and solidarity for the educated, privileged people at Houston

Posted on 06:18 by Unknown
One of the ways that capitalism works is that it convinces poor people that they're middle class and middle class people that they're upper class, or at least, that they will ascend to the next rung of our caste system in short order. That's part of what keeps the peace. Arguments about false consciousness are unpopular among many progressives, as they are perceived as rude, but rude and true can comfortably overlap in a Venn diagram.

This aspirational tendency intersects with liberal privilege hunting in an unhealthy way. Because the understanding of privilege is often crude, and frequently held by those who are interested in it as a defensive posture rather than a critical analytic tool, the tendency is to simply sort people into broad categories of "privileged" and "unprivileged," which misunderstands the scalar quality of human suffering, denies compassion to those who deserve it, and excludes those people from the solidarity that is necessary to provoke political change. I see it happen all the time: the crude way in which privilege is discussed insists on people denying the ways in which they are systematically oppressed, which dulls their support for structural change and contributes to their false consciousness.

So take these University of Houston writing fellows who are agitating for better pay. They are, certainly, people with social capital, and many or most of them are significantly privileged. That's important! Social capital is real. Privilege is real. But they are also people who have not gotten a pay raise in years and are, by any rational measure, poorly paid. That's also real. Social capital can ensure that you eventually live a life of material security where another person of similar ability does not. But it can't pay the garage when your car breaks down. I have written thousands and thousands of words on both the reality of social capital and its limitations. Unfortunately, many academics don't want to recognize those limitations at all, but rather articulate an entirely nuance-free vision of privilege that excludes anyone who has any from either political solidarity or human sympathy. And that's a profound mistake, if only for the way it makes structural political change less likely. I also think that this is the way savvy, educated types accept their own false consciousness. They are simply voicing a more sophisticated version of the delusion that one is not poor, but rather a temporarily illiquid entrepreneur.

You might say that it's easy to navigate these tensions, to both recognize the power of privilege and the persistence of social capital while maintaining both personal sympathy and political solidarity for those who enjoy it. In my experience, though, many people succumb to the temptation to cast everything into the broadest classes possible, to see the world as made up of the subaltern and those whose complaints are inherently white people problems. Not me. I have understood suffering enough to sort one thing from the other, and I will keep my own counsel on who is worthy of human compassion. So: here's to organization, resistance, and victory for the University of Houston's teaching fellows.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ▼  April (39)
      • maxxin
      • actually, let's not censor opinions we don't like
      • the point is to build a mass party you can live with
      • Bloggingheads
      • swagger is self-defeating
      • every word.
      • bad behavior
      • hate to say I told you so
      • somebody call a logician
      • "What class."
      • existential threats
      • PERL bleg
      • just a little reminder
      • good news everyone
      • Gawker is on fire
      • consent is an instrument of freedom
      • keep radio silence
      • same old same, really
      • All Up In Your Grill with Chris Hayes
      • the thing is that we're losing
      • links and such
      • I will repeat myself
      • how to prove conservative stereotypes about libera...
      • a brief, nasty case of Very Serious Syndrome
      • we're still living in Thatcher's world
      • re: that Rebecca Schuman piece
      • Sunday morning audio
      • somewhere far, far away
      • Give advice or heap ridicule, but don't call one t...
      • See you soon
      • support and solidarity for the educated, privilege...
      • Lee Alexander McQueen
      • a good example
      • the kind of tip jar I'd like
      • you can turn off the internet
      • funny thing about principle
      • structural change requires new structures
      • prerequisite questions
      • nota bene
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile