FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 12 March 2012

Up with Chris Hayes

Posted on 10:22 by Unknown
My support means zero, but I have wanted to say for some time that Chris Hayes deserves great credit for achieving what I would have thought impossible: he's brought real diversity of opinion to a major cable news network. One episode of Up with Chris Hayes (which is a pretty shitty name, if you ask me) has more genuine diversity of opinion than your average week of Anderson Cooper 360. Largely that's because he's willing to bring on people who are typically dismissed as "loony lefties" by those in the Very Serious Media, but even beyond that there's an admirable range of informed, articulate people on the show.


Still, you see the limits of anything that's regarded as TV-ready mainstream. Check out this panel on Israel-Palestine from yesterday. In the context of our media, it's a remarkably even-handed and fair discussion and panel makeup. But there are some assumptions that are so ingrained in the conversation, nobody challenges them.

Even Jeremy Ben-Ami, the founder of J-Street and an effective and principled defender of the Palestinian people, said that everyone on the panel was opposed to a nuclear-capable Iran. Now, as far as it goes, I'd much rather that Iran not have nuclear weapons than have them; I'm opposed to the existence of nuclear weapons, after all. I'm conflicted on nuclear power, given its dangers but also its potential as a non-carbon producing energy source. However: I am just as opposed to nuclear weapons and power in Israel and the United States as I am in Iran. I didn't hear, and haven't heard, a statement of equitable political principles that explains why it is somehow more legitimate for Israel to have nuclear technology than Iran. Worse, there appears to be a consensus opinion that no such principle needs to be articulated.

I would very much like for Hayes to have asked that question yesterday, why Israel is entitled to a nuclear arsenal and Iran is not. But perhaps that's a bridge too far.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...
  • Is Franz Kafka Overrated?
    No.
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • misformatted post on Grantland I find bizarrely entertaining
    Epic Freddie joke getting FAIL. Redacted for self-preservation. It's a funny gimmick, though!

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ▼  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ▼  March (7)
      • there.
      • so, I was right
      • the perfect piece for our times
      • Mike Daisy is less important than thousands of wor...
      • taking it easy on myself
      • Up with Chris Hayes
      • oh, boy
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile