FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 16 March 2012

Mike Daisy is less important than thousands of workers

Posted on 11:03 by Unknown
I just have to say, the glee that has erupted over the revelation that Mike Daisy fabricated large parts of his case against Apple says an awful lot; it just doesn't say what people think it does. The fact that Daisy lied (and it certainly appeared he did) doesn't mean that Foxconn's factories and other parts of Apple's supply chain are good places for workers. On the contrary, the facts still tell us that these are hellish, despicable conditions and that Apple's enormous financial success  is predicated on enormous human suffering. That's the important story, but it will of course be lost in another self-congratulatory circle jerk on Twitter. The fact is that criticism of Apple is always going to be subject to far more scrutiny, and far more desperate efforts to undermine it. That's how powerful the attachment is, and given what little things principles are, they don't stand a chance.

You should all watch this story, because it is absolutely perfect for the savvy blogging generation: it is about personality rather than materiality, it highlights the meaningless metanarrative rather than the actually important story, it exculpates that savvy blogging set from their considerable and well-deserved guilt at subsidizing these shameful conditions, and it lets them engage in judgment (a condition they are decidedly comfortable with) rather than sit in judgment themselves (a condition they are decidedly not comfortable with).

The reality is that for most of us who use fancy electronics (like the laptop I'm using to write this post), that use is in direct conflict with a desire for healthy, safe, and empowered workers. For most of us, that's just your typical daily petty hypocrisy, of the kind capitalism makes inevitable. For most Apple people, given their total refusal to accept even the most anodyne criticism of the company-- now perhaps the most powerful in the world-- it's something worse.

Update: Commenters are about unanimous that I'm wrong here. So.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ▼  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ▼  March (7)
      • there.
      • so, I was right
      • the perfect piece for our times
      • Mike Daisy is less important than thousands of wor...
      • taking it easy on myself
      • Up with Chris Hayes
      • oh, boy
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile