FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 21 August 2011

nothing straight, but perfectly square

Posted on 18:39 by Unknown
It's funny. John Holbo posts a link on Crooked Timber to a forum where comic book fans fake a passionate discussion about comic books that don't exist. I can't help but see in that forum thread a critique of the very blog linking to it. I suppose it's just a reaction to a bunch of lefties who would ostensibly support dissent in form as well as dissent in content while practicing only a bloodless academicism. Most of the bloggers at Crooked Timber write about politics the same way: like it's a exercise in form. What good is dissent if it is discussed as dispassionately as a fake comic book?

I mean, shit, Michael Berube wrote a beautiful capsule on the Habermas-Lyotard argument. It would be nice if people understood that representation has to take the form of asses in seats to really mean anything. Just like you can't serve the principles of racial equality by merely enjoying the pleasant idea of a black guy on your corporation's board, you can't show that you support dissent by nodding vaguely in that direction while you argue with somebody who might one day work for Time magazine.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ▼  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ▼  August (23)
      • fuck everything right now
      • It occurs to me-- maybe some gaps are unbridgeable.
      • perhaps Andrew O'Hehir should say a little more ab...
      • a refreshingly honest take on neoliberal "consensus"
      • preconditions of respect
      • doin' it up right
      • stop digging, Zack
      • so which of Tina Brown's relatives is Zack Beauchamp?
      • nothing straight, but perfectly square
      • a reminder
      • a stomach punch of a sentence
      • Civil War tragedy, continued
      • the Civil War was exactly tragic, or not, depending
      • today in inevitability
      • from CAP, via MoveOn.Those are the numbers, folks....
      • missing the point on spoilers
      • quote for the day
      • revolution is the name you give the riots you like
      • ♫welcome back♪
      • defining the fundamental character of Israel
      • the contempt gap
      • do you really want what you say you want and are y...
      • first principles
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile