FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 9 January 2012

anonymous commenting

Posted on 07:50 by Unknown
My father once told me that in a free society, you say what you want to say and then sign your name to it. That's why I've always used my real name, always, in Internet commentary. That's the reality of accountability. It's no coincidence, meanwhile, that usually my anonymous commenters are the most nakedly establishmentarian or tribalist, constantly dinging me for not being a member of the Cool Kid Crew, not being a pro blogger, violating the "consensus," and all the usual attempts at disqualifying me that I've experienced for the last five years. At the same time, I am somewhat disturbed by the requirement for people to create accounts or identities online that might track them or whatever, and my general policy is just to let any non-spam comment stay.

So here's my compromise: anonymous comments won't be blocked or deleted, and other readers or commenters are free to read them and engage or whatever. For myself, this will be my personal policy towards them, as well as the perfect visualization of my attitude towards those who get on me for not being well-behaved, deferential towards power and influence, or apologetic:


Update: Psuedonyms are fine, but please pick one and stick to it. Even if you're just telling me how much of an asshole I am each time you post.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...
  • Is Franz Kafka Overrated?
    No.
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • misformatted post on Grantland I find bizarrely entertaining
    Epic Freddie joke getting FAIL. Redacted for self-preservation. It's a funny gimmick, though!

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ▼  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ▼  January (14)
      • it's all fantasy to me
      • separated at birth
      • because policing the discourse is punk rock
      • there are reasons not to go to grad school, but Re...
      • difference/disorder
      • missed opportunity
      • Chinese lobby, Israeli lobby revisited
      • It's not about Ron Paul. It's about you.
      • No title
      • taking my medicine department, Dana Stevens edition
      • anonymous commenting
      • my old piece on conservatism
      • the college "bubble" continued
      • the tribe
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile