FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 27 October 2012

the list

Posted on 21:04 by Unknown
Atrios. For he is mighty.

Yglesias. Still smart, when he isn't being Plato. Still compassionate, when he isn't being clever. Gives a shit. Hates dill. My favorite blogger.

Edith Z. Smart in the real sense, not the Internet sense. Funny in the real sense, not the Internet sense. Can write, can really write.

Pareene. The boss. My personal hero.

Conor Friedersdorf. So wonderfully sweet and sad and square. Wrong on domestic policy but probably about five years and fatherhood away from being a socialist.

Andrew Sullivan. Has spent decades considering what the politics of Andrew Sullivan mean; has gotten it spectacularly, incredibly wrong. A guy who constantly asks himself who he is and passionately, agonizingly fails-- what's not to love? A romantic figure.

Sady Doyle. Kicked my ass. Doesn't take much more than that.

Wilkinson. Cranky. Wrong about many things. Kind of a dicknose. Hates war. Detests violence. Thoroughly incorruptible. I'll take it.

Moe T. Commie. Independent. A throat slitter.

Jamelle. The refutation of Freddie: built a career. Stayed real. Stayed angry.

Corey Robin: More radical on substance than on style, which  goes a long way. What American progressivism could be if it wasn't a sinkhole of self-hatred and uselessness. Wrote a book you should read.

El Bhask: Has managed to be juuuuuuuuust enough of a punk. Gets it right. Annoyingly young.

Alyssa Rosenberg. Smarter than me. Careful. Talented. 

John Cole. You know how the media thinks that someone is thoughtful if they think their way into the perfect mathematical median position between the media's perception of right and left? Yeah, the complete opposite of that. Thoughtful the way you can be if you aren't doing it so that other people call you thoughtful. The realest of all.

David Brooks. Just kidding, fuck that dude.

Falguni Sheth. Ferocious and brilliant.

Daniel Larison. Hung up on old timey values, like not killing people and the equal dignity of all human life. Wouldn't play Dungeons and Dragons with you but would bring snacks down to the basement while you did. (I'm guessing.)

Derek Thompson. An ace finance reporter escaped from the planet Gee Whiz. Slow thinker in the best sense.

Chris Hayes. I've only seen his show a couple times but when I have I've imagined him to be outrageously high. Seems like a good guy to drive around Ontario in a van with, looking for Sasquatch or following Firehose on tour.

Dana Goldstein. Has her particular jams locked down. Never mixes up her skepticism with her irony, which is advanced.

Choire Sicha. Elegant. Recognizes the deep savvy of true gentility. Reaches profound compassion through total exhaustion.

Michael Brendan Doughetry. Sad-eyed. Sharp. Bearded. 

Radley Balko. I mean... dude actually has gotten real innocent people out of actual, real jail. Really. In real life. You can't hate on that.

Glenn Greenwald. Just the best, you know? Just the best. Plus I get the sense that his cats are named something funny and endearing, like Mr. Sherbert and Paddington or some such.

Freddie. So, so much worse than you know about all the things you already hate him for. Writes a list full of people who would prefer not to be on it. Doesn't give a shit. Never runs for cover. Never runs to friends. Forever free. Experiences blogging exactly like this:


Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ▼  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ▼  October (15)
      • no one declaring victory on Libya could possibly c...
      • Hurricane Sandy is already political
      • A bit of a different perspective on Sandy
      • critical practice doesn't feel good
      • the list
      • can it have come to this
      • the Twitter thing
      • the "niche issues" and the big picture are the same
      • why are you the way that you are?
      • I'll take honest depravity over depravity masked a...
      • so what are you going to do about it?
      • sometimes they just come out and say it
      • predictions and hypotheticals
      • requests, easy and difficult
      • arts of the possible
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ►  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile