FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 31 October 2011

nobody knows anything about the movie business

Posted on 08:23 by Unknown
That's what screenwriter William Goldman once said, anyway.

Here's a little evidence. The A.V. Club declares Puss in Boots and its $34 million dollar weekend take a disappointment. The article also describes Justin Timberlake as "reliably bankable." Meanwhile, New York Magazine's Vulture blog describes Puss in Boots and the self-same $34 million dollar opening weekend  as a winner that shows commercial "gusto." The post agrees with the A.V. Club that Timberlake's In Time was a failure, but identifies the main culprit as being... Timberlake and his lack of drawing power.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ▼  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ▼  October (18)
      • nobody knows anything about the movie business
      • I know it can be hard to demonstrate tone in text,...
      • quality control levers in blogging
      • the tyranny of Washington DC
      • here's the problem
      • what we mean when we talk about establishment media
      • we live in clarifying times
      • understand what they're celebrating
      • recognize administrative work in tenure decisions!
      • why Occupy Wall Street exists, reason #1,734
      • blogging is a system of control
      • the resentment machine in action
      • Kate Bolick's piece in the Atlantic
      • I'll tell you, one thing that I appreciate about g...
      • what to do for the young, debt-ridden and jobless
      • solidarity first, then fear for this movement's fu...
      • Remember Fred Shuttlesworth
      • the resentment machine
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile