FranzKafkaOverrated

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 7 June 2011

the tendency towards grotesque in TV

Posted on 14:17 by Unknown
Via Alyssa Rosenberg, Barney Frank on Seinfeld and Kramer:
I don't care for Seinfeld. I'm bothered by the character of Kramer. I find it hard to watch shows where there is one character that is so obnoxious that no one would hang out with him. That's also my problem with Will & Grace. I don't understand why Jack was his best friend. He's unpleasant and dishonest. Why would anyone want to put up with a Jack or a Kramer? It's discordant for me to think about.
While I can't say that this is particularly true of Kramer, this reminds me of one of my consistent annoyances with scripted television: characters are written with a particular set of traits, which are the key to the character's personality, but over time those traits get exaggerated and exaggerated until the character can't be recognized as anything remotely like an actual human. (I say scripted TV shows, but actually I think reality "stars" are often guilty of exaggerating the qualities that they are known for, in order to strengthen the brand, or whatever the fuck.)

The best example I can think of this is kind of embarrassing. In the recent Disney Channel show the Suite Life of Zach and Cody (I have nieces, alright?), the character of London Tipton, an obvious Paris Hilton knockoff, started off as a generally ditzy but still sweet and connectible character. (You can imagine how disturbing it was to see the actress who played her sucking off Mark Zuckerberg in the Social Network.) But as the show petered on for season after season, and into the execrable spin-off the Suite Life On Deck, every other element of her character was ground out in the efforts to make her more and more stupid and unaware. By the last few episodes I saw, she was a complete grotesque; no human could behave the way she behaved on the show, unless he or she suffered a massive brain injury. I think this is the general tendency of long-lived shows. New writers can't think outside of the narrow constraints of the character as already presented, and long running series believe that they are giving the people what they want in doing so.

That's not an example likely to resonate with many of you but I'm sure you can think of your own. I shudder to think of what has become of Homer, once one of the great characters in television history, as the Simpsons has destroyed its own legacy more and more in the last decade and a half. This gets back to my old jam about why I'll never be into TV and why I was constantly frustrated when I read comic books. No dramatic setup can exist in perpetuity and remain high quality. Stories require arc. I know it's a perfectly common middlebrow sentiment, but I really wish we had more of the British, short series model. Perpetual narrative doesn't work.

Update: Commenter Jack Crow points out that the TV Tropes crew has the money on this phenomenon.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • pacifism and intention
    Note: Because I am incompetent, I accidentally deleted this post, and I can't find any way to restore it through Blogger. I had to go in...
  • what I mean when I talk about empiricism and self-determination
    In my Bloggingheads appearance, I mentioned to Conor my prediction that the empirical case against the notion that you are mostly responsibl...
  • Randy Moss's unforgivable blackness
    I don't have a real rooting interest in the game tonight. But a part of me is rooting for the 49ers, only because I'd like to see a...
  • self-implication
    Adam Serwer points out , correctly, that liberal excuses for extrajudicial killing make their opposition to torture nonsensical. The questio...
  • Benghazi: the worst of both Republicans and Democrats
    This Benghazi mess is enough to make you really despair. For years now, liberals have pushed back against the "both sides do it!" ...
  • Sabermetricians, like all nerds, must accept that they've won
    I'm not going to excerpt too much, because its a paid subscription service, but today on his (excellent) daily baseball missive The Slur...
  • the backwards causation
    Since reading educational research changed from being an amateur interest of mine to being a daily professional commitment, nothing has been...
  • moral support necessitates moral distinctions
    Chris Hayes is in quite a bit of hot water online because he said that he was uncomfortable calling dead soldiers heroes. Since his show st...
  • Ms. 21st century
    I occasionally get emails from people who find my critique of the Internet generation cruel. Last week, I got an email that said point blank...
  • Slate's Rosetta Stone
    Hidden in this piece on hating the band The National, Carl Wilson unintentionally provides the key for understanding Slate: In the end, it ...

Categories

  • I'm mostly kidding (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (218)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (42)
    • ►  April (39)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (35)
    • ►  January (43)
  • ►  2012 (139)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (14)
  • ▼  2011 (143)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (23)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ▼  June (12)
      • there are very few great baseball players in the m...
      • typical sentiment re: college educated employment
      • no matter how many times you say it, it's not hypo...
      • note and an important link
      • Adam Serwer is observing
      • the way stuff lives on in the Internet
      • reax, updated
      • the only necessary argument against routine infant...
      • the tendency towards grotesque in TV
      • wishing doesn't make it so
      • shifting state university funding from taxation to...
      • EVERYBODY CAN'T BE THE ONLY PERSON ROOTING FOR THE...
    • ►  May (21)
    • ►  April (27)
    • ►  March (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile